Info On Med Sensitivity?

mkoven

I'm sensitive to medications in general-- either developing strange adverse reactions or allergic reactions, or needing a very tiny dose. Is there documentation that pots patients are more sensitive to meds? If so, what would the mechanism be? I'd love to have an explanation to tell my gunshy doctors. I feel like the princess and the pea. I've always been a little like this, but it's gotten truly ridiculous in the past five years.

I don't know of any literature, but I just got home from an appointment with my doctor and when I mentioned my newly acquired drug sensitivities to him he was not surprised at all. In fact, he said that was very common for people with autonomic disorders.

Just another day in the exciting life of us dysautonomics! :o

I got clostridium difficile colitis once (that's when all the good bacteria in your gut get replaced by bad bacteria, and it's almost IMPOSSIBLE to get rid of.) The usual antibiotic they use is called Flagyl. I could not take that stuff. It made me so sick, I thought I was going to die. They had to switch me to oral vancomycin ($5 per pill, three pills a day for months.) It took me a year to get rid of the bug.

I can't take sulfa drugs, either. I get a rash. And daily migraines with Effexor, even though it's used as a migraine preventative!

Amy