New Topic/old Topic

wibbleway

First, thank you to everyone who answered back to cheer me up. What a blessing! Thank you! I know we have talked about Beta Blockers alot on this forum but I did want to ask you all for some feedback. I was on a small doze of Atenolol (25mg) for the last 3 years. It really hasn't helped. We tried 50mg and I was having numbness in the face, anxiety so we dropped back down to 25mg. My blood pressure actually is the same whether I'm on the Atenolol or not. It is just going to drop then go high with a high pulse rate when I stand for too long. I have been off the Atenolol for 4 days and am not having the night sweats, anxiousness but again my blood pressure/heart rate are the same maybe the pulse rate is alittle higher. Now to my question: If the doctors have said they can't help me but just keep me comfortable with symptoms and the atenolol causes more side effects with no much results, why take it? Has anyone else out there not really benefitted that much from Beta Blockers in the long run? Any help would be appreciated. I have been on every drug trial available and nothing worked so my they are thinking that I am just progressing to PAF. If that is the case then I just need to realize that standing is going to make everything go haywire. Hope this makes sense to someone. Thanks for letting me ramble on and on. :P

The doc is currently questioning whether the BB is doing much for me.

Like many I have tried several things, but the BB seemed to be helping.

Then, not so much.

The doc at the MVP Center in Birmingham changed my dosing schedule with the BB and it worked better for a while.

Now doc is considering a Calcium Channel Blocker rather than a BB.

I haven't read up on CCB's so don't have any info to share,

but my doc thinks that is a good next step.

I am reticent to change because I'm feeling pretty well at this time . . . If it ain't broke don't fix it!

I've had so many negative experiences with meds that I am always hesitant to try something new.

You might want to check into Calcium Channel Blockers.

As for the BB, if it isn't working I would get off it.

Of course, I'm no doctor, but I don't take things unless I am pretty certain they are beneficial.

I am too financially stretched and stubborn to take meds just for the heck of it!

Dari

If your main symptom is tachycardia, while blood pressure is relatively stable - by stable, I mean it's not 80/50 - then a trial of another beta-blocker, like propranolol, may help. If your main symptom is drop in blood pressure on standing, then midodrine may be the way to go. However, many patients need a combination of a beta-blocker and another agent. If atenolol doesn't help your symtpoms, there is no point in taking in it. On the other hand, it doesn't mean that the entire class of beta blockers should be discounted. Your doctor and you should decide what the next step should be.

Thank you all for your words of wisdom. During all the trials at Vandy, I tried every combination they have so far. Like you, I'm scared to tamper with new medicine right now because it usually has an adverse effect and right now there is nothing out there I haven't tried. Think I'll just stay off the low doze Atenolol for now and see what happens. Thanks again.