Ssi & Medicare Question

dream02

Hi Everyone,

Great news! My SSI has finally been approved and I wasn't even at the hearing since I was in the hospital since I accidently overdosed while having one of the latered mental states I have with this disease. My question is does medicare automatically come with SSI disability? I went in for a food stamp review and the lady there told me that it doesn't and that worries me very much. I've called my attorney and I'm sure she'll call me back soon but thought I may get a quicker answer here. Hava any of you been told that your meds have made you toxic when having altered mental states?

Thanks!

Denise ;)

hi denise -

congrats on getting your approval. medicare is automatic with SSDI but NOT right away. medicare benefits begin 2 yrs after the your benefit start date, which is 6 months after what is determined to be the onset of your disability. when you are actually approved (aka now) doesn't really matter. essentially you need to find out what your onset date was determined to be & you will then be eligible for medicare 18 months from that date.

hope this helps,

;) melissa

hi denise -

congrats on getting your approval. medicare is automatic with SSDI but NOT right away. medicare benefits begin 2 yrs after the your benefit start date, which is 6 months after what is determined to be the onset of your disability. when you are actually approved (aka now) doesn't really matter. essentially you need to find out what your onset date was determined to be & you will then be eligible for medicare 18 months from that date.

hope this helps,

;) melissa

Ok cool...my disability date is June 04 so I should get it right away then. Thanks so much!

This can be a tricky issue.

There are some differences between getting SSI vs. SSDI payments. Are you only getting SSI payments at this point? Has your SSDI payment been approved? If not, you may not yet have Medicare coverage.

Once you are approved for SSDI payments then you will have Part A Hospital coverage as of the date they deem you disabled. For Part B--Dr's visits and other outpatient care you will have to wait for 2 years from the date Soc Sec deems your onset date to be. Once you are approved for Part B you will have premiums to pay for it (Part A is free to you). If you are receiving both SSI and SSDI payments then you may qualify for state assistance to offset the premiums for Part B and/or if you are receiving SSI payments then you may want to check with your state to see if you qualify for your state's Medicaid program.

THis is from Soc Sec website:

Before age 65, you are eligible for Medicare hospital insurance if you:

get Social Security disability benefits-SSDI and have amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (Lou Gehrig's) disease; or

have been a Social Security disability beneficiary for 24 months; or

have worked long enough in a federal, state, or local government job and you meet the requirements of the Social Security disability program.