Gerd

I dont know much about this condition, but do know a few things. I think some people here have it, and was wondering if i could get some info about it.

In an earlier post i had said how i was having these crazy hick-ups that wouldnt go away. The ones i am talking about now are different then those, and those have since went away. But the other one im talking about is something i have had for about a year (ever since i got sick....roughly) They are just one random hick-up, and then thats it for a while. When they first started i would only get it like once a day, but now they have slowly been getting more common, and now i am getting them like every 10 minutes. It doesnt sound like a hick-up either, its almost like im gasping for breath kind of a thing. Do any of you get this?

I have also had problems with my food not properly going down, and then for the rest of the day it will keep coming up, and its not the same effect as heart burn, it does have the acid that burns, but its not the same thing.

I'm willing to hear any help or advice any of you have to offer, even if you dont experience this. Thanks!

GERD = Gastro Esophageal Reflux Disease

(UK, GORD = Gastro Oesophageal Reflux Disease)

Basically GERD is a condition where the sphincter (muscular opening) between the bottom of the oesophagus and the stomach doesn't work properly. The sphicter should close to prevent the stomach contents from leaking or refluxing back into the oesophagus. The lining of the oesophagus is different from the stomach lining and it isn't designed to be incontact with the stomach acids.

For some people with GERD the main symptom is pain from the acid burning the delicate oesophageal lining (classic "heart burn"). Others may not have any pain but are aware of stomach contents refluxing back up, sometimes into the back of the mouth giving a nasty acidy taste (known as waterbrash).

There are several treatments for GERD from over the counter remedies like Gaviscon that coat and cool the delicate linings, different classes of tablets that reduce the stomach acid and in some cases surgical procedures are tried. The reflux can let stomach contents into the lungs and cause a cough and asthma like symptoms.

Simple advice like sitting upright whilst and after eating, avoiding trigger foods such as spicy and fatty foods, drinking milk, can help to settle minor symptoms. It is best to report the symptoms to your doctor so that they can be evaluated and treated before further problems can develop. In severe cases you may get ulcers in the oesophagus so better to treat before that becomes an issue.

I hope that helps and that your symptoms can be remedied easily.

Flop

Hiccups are usually caused by something irritating the diaphragm. For me, trapped wind in my stomach seems to be the biggest culprit. If I eat too quickly or try to talk too soon after drinking I end up swallowing air and can have painful hiccups for ages afterwards. My Mum said I was a really colicky baby and I don't ever seem to have grown out of the hiccup problem. I don't know why they should suddenly start but I wonder if the nerves to the diaphragm might be affected by POTS??

Flop

That does sound like it could be a possibility. There are so many strange things that go along with POTS, it really wouldnt surprise me...

Im going to see my doc on thursday, and i will ask about GERD, and also see if he thinks the strange hick-ups are being caused by the POTS.

Have a good night!