Compression Hose

After getting my first pair of compression hose (30mmHg waist high) yesterday and putting them on this morning, I now know why the doctor wanted me to start wearing them. It's not to help with blood flow, but with aerobic exercise! B)

It must have taken me at least 10 minutes to get them on. My husband was downstairs listening to me. I don't think he dared to come up and see what I was doing. I had such an aerobic workout that I got dizzy and had to lie down with my feet elevated for a bit to allow my heart rate to slow down and the dizziness to pass.

I can see that I'm definitely going to have to schedule extra time getting ready in the morning, or I'll be late everywhere I go.

Does it get easier? Is it really going to be worth it for me to fight daily with these hose?

I would say that it does. The first time i put my waiste high ones on, it was quite difficult, but i have not gotten "strategies" if you will, on how to get them on easier. Some people actually wear rubber gloves, or put powder on their legs, which also helps with the sweating problems aswell.

Good luck, hope tomorrow goes smoother for you...B)

hi dawn -

i don't think i've had the chance to welcome you yet. so...welcome!

while it never gets as easy as not wearing them, it definitely does get easier, both in regard to the time & energy they take out of you. and while it might be different for different people, i always did best putting them on while sitting/lying on something flat, i.e. my bed or the floor rather than a chair. i used gloves all of the time initially & later when i had a new pair of hose or if my hands were extra dry (b/c it would increase the chance of snagging). certain hose (brands/ styles) i found easier with gloves & others without. if gloves didn't come with your hose any clean rubber cleaning/ dishwashing gloves will do if you want to try that approach.

there are also certain ways to put the hose on that are easier (and better for the longevity of the hose) than others. did someone show you how to put them on properly when you got them? putting them on the same way as regular pantyhose isn't the best way to go & will make for an uphill battle in more ways than one for both you & the hose.

hang in there. i do hope that the hose bring you at least a bit of relief....

B) melissa

Thank you for the welcome. I'm glad to find such a helpful site. I also saw where someone had mentioned NDRF in a post, so I was just checking them out.

When I got the hose and gloves, they just said here you go. I had to ask them how to take care of them. At first they thought I was talking about paying for them and insurance. I told them I needed to know how to care for them at home, unless they wanted to take care of them for me. B)

The only instructions I got was what I read in the package. I tried to reach in and grab the heel, pulling the hose inside out, but couldn't find the heel with the rubber gloves on. And trying to put them on while lying on the bed was quite an adventure!

Hi Dawn,

I wear the waist hight 30 mmHg, and I remember the first time I tried to put them on. My husband hid, too. :)

I turn mine inside out, get them over my heels, then get them over my calves, then pull them the rest of the way up. I don't use gloves.

When I take them off, I leave them inside out and wash them and hang them that way. Then they are ready the next morning's battle.

A tip I got off this site, that I found helpful, was to use the spray deodorant on the bottoms of my feet. That helps keep my feet from sweating so much while I am wearing the hose.

They aren't really that bad, except you don't get a tan on your legs. At all. When I went around my husband's family in my bathing suit, they all said they needed sunglasses to look at my VERY white legs. B)

Hope this has been helpful,

Angela

I've been bad recently about wearing mine, though I keep them in my bag if I start feeling bad. But I have found that the open-toe style is MUCH easier to put on, as you can use a baggy or a little satin thingy that comes with to get them on your foot.

But I've also complained A LOT here about getting them on and off. My big problem is hypermobile fingers that I've injured/sprained. And my hands are happier without them. But on faint days, they do help tons.

I wear 40mmHg knee length stockings and have learnt to wriggle them on from starting inside-out but with the foot tucked in. I can't really explain how I do it, the most helpful thing was that I got mine from a stocking clinic at the hospital where I was measured, had my dopplers checked and then was taught how to put them on properly.

I have 2 different brands and searched for them online. The Activa website lists a useful looking product called the actiglide for helping to put on closed toe stockings and tights.

http://www.activahealthcare.co.uk/content/...iglide.html?t=1

The Medi website also had an aid for putting on closed toe stockings but the demo video is only in German - I can't understand a word of it but it does give a clear demonstration of the product.

http://www.medi.de/mediven_2_in1.1744.0.html

I haven't used either of these myself and there are probably other aids available. You will probably find that it gets easier with practice but if you are still strugling it might be worth trying a dressing aid. You could try getting your husband to help rather than hiding downstairs and giggling. The other week when I was really ill and blacking out repeatedly I had to get my Dad to help me put my stockings on - that was rather embarrassing but it was the only way to get me to the hospital!

Flop

It's getting easier to get them on. Now the big problem is going to the bathroom. :) I need to lay on my bed as I try to get them on. It's kind of hard to do that in the bathroom, and they're really hard to get back up all the way. B)

hi dawn -

glad to hear that things are getting a bit easier for you with the hose :) . re: getting them back on after using the bathroom, what worked best for me was to make sure i only took them down as little as possible/ necessary to begin with. it might seem like a little thing but it made things a lot easier & when i'd occasionaly not pay as much attention & thus yank them all the way down i'd have a reminder that would keep me more attentive for at least awhile.

B) melissa

oh my, are you gals actually able to wear those in the summer? I'd worry I'd pass out from heat exhaustion just trying to get them on.

I have the air conditioner cranked up and the ceiling fan going. At work, I have a fan blowing almost constantly on my legs. I tried going without them once. I won't do that again. ;) That was the worst day I've had for a while.

Fortunately this week is cooler in CO.