Drug Interactions

India

Aloha all,

I have been prescribed nystatin and triamcinlolone for a rash and possible fungal infection on my oh so sensitive hands. I am currently taking florinef. As florinef and triamcinolone are, I think, steroids of one sort or another, is this a good presecription? My regular doc was away and a locum prescribed this. I've checked the web for possible interactions and of course I am sure my pharmacists would have spotted any problem. But, the last time I went to the doctor for medication for severe headaches, he presecribed a drug loaded with caffeine which, in my hyperadrenergic state, is not a good idea. So, I am very wary about these things.

Cheers,

India

Hi India,

is it a triamcinolone cream that you have been prescribed?

You are quite right that both Florinef and Triamcinolone are steroids, but they are different types of steroids. Florinef has mostly mineralocorticoid effects that cause reabsorption of soduim and water in the kidneys to boost blood volume and blood pressure. Triamcinolone has glucocorticoid effects that supress inflammation. A pharmacist will be able to advise you on your individual medications but if it is the cream it shouldn't cause any problems if only used for a short period of time (days to weeks, not months).

Hope the rash clears soon,

Flop

pretty much "ditto" to what flop said. while i'm not on florinef now, i used short term steroid creams on several occassions while on it in the past - per doctor's orders - and never had a problem. it's good to stay on top of your meds though...especially when there are multiple docs involved no one is going to care more than you. hope you're feeling better soon...skin stuff may (in general) not be as serious as some other things but i've always found it to be SO incredibly bothersome/ uncomfortable.

;) melissa