Lyme Disease

kmpower

Guest tabers
The current issue of the Townsend Letter, the high-end magazine devoted to alternative medicine, is on Lyme Disease. There are a number of articles by practitioners of different disciplines, letters from patients, tidbits from research, more...

Sample issues sell for $8.

http://www.townsendletter.com/

OLL

By the bottom of his article he talks about his own products. Obviously, this man is promoting his own products. Now that said I totally agree at some point enough antibiotics is enough. If his products truly worked everyone would have heard by now and been on them. That is not the case. Most people who have lyme do not cherish taking antibiotics at all so if his products worked we would have been on them by now. So obviously he does not have the total answer either.

I was on antibiotics 7 months and I am now symptom free from lyme. I do believe that after a certain time period the antibiotics may not do much good. It is very important to know when to stop. I truly believe 3 weeks is not enough time but then throwing tons of antibiotics at the lyme is also not good either.

But I also know there are many people who have POTS who have lyme and are not getting better by other alternatives. Antibiotics appear to be their best hope. The trick is to know how long you should stay on them. I am very glad I did antibiotics as my POTS symptoms are now gone but I am also glad I stopped when I did.

Guest tabers
The current issue of the Townsend Letter, the high-end magazine devoted to alternative medicine, is on Lyme Disease. There are a number of articles by practitioners of different disciplines, letters from patients, tidbits from research, more...

Sample issues sell for $8.

http://www.townsendletter.com/

OLL

Here is what I found out about Mr. J. He is not a doctor. Quoted from an article that investigated Mr. J.

Jernigan has been around for years and years and his company still offers Borrelogen, which didn't do much for people with Lyme disease in spite of his claims. Get that pseudo-scientific label? He still offers it, but says it is an immune enhancer and must be taken with his brand of acidophilus.

He is not a medical doctor, nor is his wife. He and his wife both have "BS DC" after their names. He is in the business of selling

Check this out: http://www.wellnow.com/scout/jernigan.html

I guess, thus I wouldn't give him too much credibility in his anti-antibiotic approach. Antibiotics can be very dangerous, so can aspirin. So can many a drug that is used for sleep, depression, anxiety you name it. I work with people who have had serious health issues from cholesterol lowering meds and even Beta Blockers. I have seen major GI bleeds from anti-inflammatories and aspirin.

No one should stay on antibiotics any longer they should. But most research shows that if someone has lyme they need antibiotics at least in the beginning. And this is regular main stream doctors too. The controversy lies in how long a person should stay on antibiotics.

Bottom line each person and their chosen doctor need to decide that for themselves. Just like they decide which other meds they take risks with.

Hi. Been offline a few days.

This magazine has a very good reputation. Not all contributors are M.D.s, but many are. M.D.s do not have much knowledge about natural therapies as a rule. However, any practitioner or methodology must fit the patient, so if an approach doesn't make sense to you, it isn't for you.

Since I don't know this person, I cannot respond to the question about what he is writing. I will say that D.C.s get much more nutrition training than M.D.s. and, depending on the state where they practice, will order or perform all the appropriate tests before making recommendations.

I know most of us are on prescription medication. And most of us depend on M.D.s. But I always feel sad when approaches which might offer assistance and relief, even if not a cure, are quickly discounted on this forum as near-quackery. Nature has been around a very long time.

OK, off the soapbox. Lyme Disease is a growing and difficult challenge and I hope those that have both Lyme and POTS get all the help needed.

OLL

OLL,

Thank you for replying. I really did appreciate you posting this thread on behalf of folks like me with Lyme.

I was not dismissing it, just needed a bit more info on the publication.

As for tabers--you went on and on about Dr. J? However, that wasn't really the question...

I was interested specifically in Dr. Yurkovsky and any possible personal experiences working with him.

Emily