Short Synacthen Test

lizb

Hi there, not posted in a while, working hard, then when I get home I am soooooo tired. Well i had an app with my cardiologist today.

She is sending me for a Short Synacthen Test next week. I was wondering if anyone else has had this test and if so, can they give me any info.

Ta much

LizB

Hi Liz, I had this done 3 years ago. It's a short test they do for Addison's disease which can cause some symptoms resembling pots. If I remember rightly it's a couple of blood samples a few hours apart after you receive an injection. It's nothing to worry about.

Hope you are well! I was in Scotland last weekend- took my mum for 4 nights at the Caledonian Hilton in Edinburgh.

Hi Liz, I've also had a short synacthen test done. As Persephone said it is to test for Addison's disease (underactive adrenal glands). There are a couple of different ways to do it depending on the doctor or lab doing the test. When I had mine done they put in an IV cannula and took a baseline blood sample to measure serum cortisol. Then they give you an IM injection of synacthen (a synthetic ACTH - the hormone that causes the adrenal glands to secrete cortisol). They then take either 1 or 2 further blood samples at 30 / 60 mins after the IM injection. If your baseline cortisol is very low or if it fails to rise by more than a certain amount then the test is positive suggesting that the patient has Addison's disease. The results usually take a day or so to come back.

Flop

i had it done several years ago with a series of endocrinology tests. this one was normal for me, though several subsequently were not (also related to cortisol. the test took some time hanging around after the injection but was otherwise uneventful...

<_< melissa

Thank you to all who replied, I also went on the the Internet and found out much of what you said, it is helful however to hear from someone who has had the test. A bit likecommunicating with someone who's had POTS.

Ta much

Lizbx

• 2 weeks later...