Flying

kholdefer

Hi everyone,

I am contemplating going to Vegas with my boyfriend's family in December. Its a free trip, and I know it sounds a little crazy, but I'm so sick of sitting in my apartment. I think I will use a wheelchair to get around, and see how it goes, maybe. It will really depend on how I'm feeling at the time. When they scheduled the trip, I was feeling much better and I've been feeling pretty bad lately, so we'll see. Anyways, the thing I'm most worried about is flying. I've heard that is really hard for us Pottsies. Has anyone had any experience with this? Any advice, suggestoins.?

Kady

For me traveling with someone else is much better. Try and fly off times if possible and if you need a chair -- why not!? Mornings are my worst time and the airports are busiest then. I flew last weekend and even though I am more stable on my meds now, 2 yrs since geting POTS, I still find the security line hard to stand in...just make sure you are well hydrated and try not to get too stressed out before you go, I try and get extra rest the week before I travel. Remember most places in vegas are air conditioned inside but out doors it can be very warm.

hi

I just flew 11 hours each way. How long is your trip? I had oxygen on the plane, which helped a lot (could not have done it without the oxygen). The flight back had more turbulance, so it made the POTS worse. It was very tiring, so it may be good to plan some down time into the schedule.

Enjoy!

i fly for about an hour or two each time i fly. if it is a non-stop flight then that is a lot better and i only have to deal with one hour of flying. if i have one-stop then it is a total of 2 hours flying and not to mention running to catch the next flight. that is very stressful and i wouldn't suggest that. take off and landing are thte hardest for me. be sure to either purchase water in the sterile area or the flight attendant wil give you as much water as you want for FREE!!! just be sure to let them know that you do have a problem and that you do need a lot of water. they should take your seat number (maybe even put you first class--- i was a couple of times) and they should ask you if you are okay throughout the flight. i have flown with a lot of airlines and all have been helpful to me. you will be able to carry your wheel chair with you on board, if you didn't know. they really will work with you. i fly twice every month. take care and i hope you do decide to go. even if you are feeling bad now, going might perk you up and make you feel better. don't let pots rule your life. you rule your life. don't just let great opprutunities pass you by just because you -might- feel bad. that is just my advice though. i always still ltry to do what i want even if i don't think i can because you never know. you will make the right decision for you.

good luck to you.

dionna :)

ibe sure to either purchase water in the sterile area or the flight attendant wil give you as much water as you want for FREE!!! just be sure to let them know that you do have a problem and that you do need a lot of water. they should take your seat number (maybe even put you first class--- i was a couple of times) and they should ask you if you are okay throughout the flight.

Get a doctor's note- they should be glad to give you one- and carry it with you all the time, with copies made to hand to the ticket counter people, security people, and flight attendants on all connections. Have your dr. list your fluid requirements and that you could pass out at any time. Tell the airline as soon as you arrive at the ticket counter, and you should be sheparded through the process. They don't want a lawsuit. : )