Recovery Question

bgsu4

Has anyone been lucky enough to have a full recovery? I've been told that it could take from 2-5 yrs. with each year getting better. I realize it may be different for everyone and that I have only had this for 15 months but after reading some posts and seeing how long some people have had to deal with this I feel like it may never happen. I truly feel bad that people have had to go through this for so long! I try to remain positive and know that God's plan may not always fit into our plans. Since I'm new to the site I wanted to ask a basic question and hopefully by posting I can make a difference in someone elses ordeal.

Guest dionna

i hoped that i could help others as well and you are right about god's plans being different for ours. i believe that if god wnat me to get better i will, if not he has a better plan and i just have to stick with it. everthything is a lesson and everyone has their purpose. i have had pots for almost two years now. the first time i fainted was august 12 of 2004. so i might have had it longer but i say that day. i have had my ups and downs and at times i even thought i was completely cured. now that i have had it longer though i haven't had as many good days so i am losing hope as well but i still think about being being my old self. i don't mind pots so much now because it has become who i am and i have made more friends since having pots than before. i think it made me a better person and it definately made me grow up and begin to appreciate the small things in life so much more. others on the forum think differently but it just depends on how you perceive the world. a lot of chronically ill people become depressed, with good reason. it is tough and it takes a huge toll on people's lives and lifestyle. we all lose so much independence and so many things. i hope that you will be able to look at the positives and don't give up. don't ever forget that it is okay to dream, even if they don't come true, it is still something to look forward to and to help stay positive. just don't get your hopes up too much. good luck to you. if you need anything, you will always have friends here that understand you and have been where you are. ask anything. we won't think you are crazy. trust me, we will have the same problem!

dionna :angry:

hello & welcome-

sorry that you have a reason to be here but glad you found the site.

i read your other post with more of your "intro" and see that you're a fellow NE ohioan. i've actually only been living here about a year & won't be here too much longer but for the moment i'm a clevelander as well. dr. chelimsky is also one of my (many) docs.

there are many variants as far as recovery goes. i'm not one of the "good" stories in that regard but my diagnosis is also no longer POTS. but even though i've been sick for years i can still relate to the frustration of no longer being able to be as active & hope that you'll be able to be again. ( i used to coach swimming, do triathlons, row...you get the idea.)

but i digress. here are a few previous topics re: thoughts/experiences with recovery:

http://dinet.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtopic=2968&hl=

http://dinet.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtopic=5750&hl=

http://dinet.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtop...919entry56919

and while you'll probably read my repeating it in all of the links i've posted, i'll say it again. those who are doing the best don't tend to be on the forum. if i had to give a quick run-down of "forum demographics" i would say that a large majority of active participants are those who have been newly diagnosed and/or those who have remained ill for longer periods. obviously there are exceptions to the "rule" but just realize that the forum tends to be a bit of a skewed population.

i TOTALLY agree with you in terms of God's plan not always being ours (though am constantly being reminded) but the day to day can still be rough at times.

hang in there,

:angry: melissa

p.s. would i be guessing correctly to think you went to bowling green or otherwise have a connection there? i grew up in toledo & we had swimming districts at the bgsu pool every spring....

Thank you for your replies. I have learned alot since I have had this. I try to take nothing for granted anymore. I have found out how much my wife, parents, brother, in-laws and friends care for me and how they go out of their way to help me. When your a 33, male, athletic you think your friends aren't going to understand why you can't do the things you used to do but they have been great! It almost seems that we all realize we are growing up and that feeling of being invincible is gone.

With my profession I have seen alot of people who have a hard time with Activities of Daily Living wow how I understand what they are going through now. I've been lucky. I have yet to pass out, can shower, work, do work around the house. I have trouble every now and then and need to sit with my feet up but I do realize it can be worse. I think God is telling me to slow down. I used to work, exercise, golf and work on the house; all in one day. I had the energy and enjoyed it but I think I needed to see things will get done no matter what, just take some time and relax.

The associated anticipatory anxiety of having a spell when shopping or driving is what gets me. I was never someone who worried about things going wrong but that has changed. It's hard when a Doctor tells you drive you have to get to work, when it's 25 miles and you get dizzy and lightheaded halfway through. Its just not that easy. I always try to think of the positives; the extra time I spend with my parents and wife, the fact that I'm alive and knowing that God is testing me and thats all. He wants me to be well and wants me to come out of this knowing that it made me stronger, smarter and more appreciative of all that I have accomplished in life so far.

Yes, I went to BG. I used to watch everyone swim on my hour long bike sessions.

Guest dionna

i am glad that you are still able to do so many things. i wish i could drive! thats what i want. my wings were clipped! i can do other things but not quickly. it takes me all day to try to clean anything and i am worn out for a few days afterwards. i went grocery shopping today for 15minutes without my wheelchair and it was hot outside, so i will definately pay my dues. its okay though i got out my bed and off the recliner or couch. i had fun seeing new faces! i love people. if God was telling me to slow down... he wanted me to slow wwaaayyy down. i was always on the go to. i had already learned how important family was when i went off to boot camp so i don't think that was his lesson for POTS. i started passing out shortly after MCT (marine combat training). i thought maybe i had hurt myself then. i had swollen feet for months and tinitus in my right knee. we did a few humps and live outside for the month of july- in NC- so i also thought maybe the heat did something. i had no idea. i don't think my POTS has a viral connection but prehaps i was overheated at some point causing the damage. i had severe fevers as a 5month old and at the age of 6. thankfully the military accepts the blame on them and that they caused it. i am lucky in that aspect. i was completely fit as well. 295/300 Physical Fitness Test. 21min 45sec 3mile run. petite/athletic build. i worked out all the time. i can't anymore. i miss that too. i miss the marine corps! okay i am just whinning now. basically i was just trying to let you know that i understand about physical fitness part. i wish you luck and a speedy recovery.

dionna :angry:

i knew i had another point. everytime anyone would see me in my marine uniform and they saw me crawling up the stairs on hands and knees slowly or sitting while waiting on an elevator or anything else that appeared to be lazy... they would ask why. i was a marine and i should have been running up the stairs or whatever. that was just and example that sticks out a lot in my head from a navy corpsman questioning me one day. but i got that stuff all the time. i think it is great that they understand that you can't do all that you were able to and that you have the support that you do. that is really great and i wish that for everyone with any illness. support helps better than meds, i think anyway.

dionna :P

Support does help alot. I would love to have one day to do a heavy chest workout followed by 45 minutes on the stairclimber and a great sweat. It was 90+ here today and I was sitting outside and can barely sweat. This heat intolerance stinks. The rush I got from exercising is what I miss second to being able to go somewhere without looking for everyplace I can sit down if I start getting symptoms.