Strattera..

wareagle

Hi all..I saw my doc. today and he brought up the possibility of trying strattera with me..I told him I'd do some research and think on it awhile before making a decision. He says it helps with fatigue AND can help with bloodpressure issues ect.

I did a search on it and only found it was mentioned in passing..no discussions...

So, if any of you have any info. or experience with it please let me know! <_<

Love to you all!!

I don't have an answer for you, but my daughter has an appointment with the neuro in 2 weeks. She will probably be put on ritalin for ADHD, but I suspect she may have some dysautonomia issues as well. If your doc thinks strattera would help additionally with POTS, please PM me, it would be an added benefit for her.

thanks

Ariella

I was on straterra and loved it! It gave me my brain back. Dr took me off when I went on attenolol. Now I'm foggy again. I asked yesterday if I could go back on it and she said I could do both, but that is opposite of what she said when I started atenolol. She wants to wait and see if lowering nadelol will help. I guess I wait another week but this is a really bad time of year of me with taxes, and audits and all that kind of stuff.

Hey girl!

Is Stratttera the one that is for ADD that is not a controlled substance like the other ADD drugs and is norepinephrine-based?

I feel like I remember Dr. Grubb prescribing that one to folks...

I'm not much help, sorry...

But, as you probably already know, many of the ADD/ADHD drugs are used for us and often have the added benefit of increasing bp.

I have tried Provigil for the brain fog and Dexedrine...but not with success :o. Haven't tried Concerta, Strattera, Ritalin, Adderrall, etc. What confuses me is how you choose b/w them all????

Hope you get some tips from other folks with a brain, since I dont' seem to have one! :)

Em

i have not been on straterra but was on concerta for several years with much success and it has many of the same properties/characteristics/mechanisms. it helped my energy, BP/HR, and more....

B) melissa

hehe...we're "on the same page" em.

just to add a bit more after em's post...

i know sometimes the "newer" ADD/ADHD meds are generally considered to have the least side effects but of course we're all different so there's never a guarantee. honestly i don't have any idea where strattera fits along the spectrum of the meds.

i have also tried adderall with no success but my health was/is at a much different place than when i took the concerta so it may have more to do with me than with the med.

good luck & let us know how it goes if you decide to try it...

B) melissa

Hey guys..thanks for chiming in...it looks like this isn't a med. widely used for POTS..at leaste not yet. ;)

My doc. (who also has POTS) began taking Strattera recently at the recomendation of his doc. and he's had some noticeable improvement.

Apparently Strattera is NOT a stimulant like Ritalin and the other "ADHD" meds. It works to promote norepi. and block re-uptake of NE..BUT the big difference is that it only does this when the body needs it as opposed to continuously promoting NE whether you need it or not..at leaste that's what I understood when my doc. explained it.

I've been trying to do some research on it but it's still a relatively new drug and there's not a whole lot that I could find...

I probably won't be trying it any time soon...I'm such a weenie when it comes to new meds :rolleyes:

I'm lucky in that my doc. knows this about me..so he always approaches me slowly and lets me think things over before making a decision...still it's nice to know there is another option for me as far as meds. go..

lately I've been frustrated b/c I feel I'm running out of things to try from a medical stand point and my body is just so darn sensative to EVERYTHING ;) !!

I am starting to try to do some reconditioning now...I got a recumbant bike and was able to do up to 20 min. on it 6 days a week for three weeks!!!....then I couldn't do anything for a month...but now I'm getting back on it again so maybe there's hope for me and my thighs yet :D

Love to you all!!

PS. Ariella..you may want to ask you daughter's doc. about the Strattera...I'm not sure how well it is at treating ADHD when compared to the other meds. out there but it can't hurt to ask! I hope she's feeling better soon.