sinus headcold

gwen

I am up tonight with a full blown sinus attack. even my teeth hurt. I can't take the over the counter stuff becuse of drug interactions. I had this at thanksgiving and dr said claritan d. well tonight its not helping and making me extremely dizzy, wide awake. What do others take?

My Doctor puts me on Zyrtec when my allergies or sinus acts up. I can not take any of the over the counter stuff due to other problems. It works very well with me. Sorry to hear you are feeling so badly. I understand very well about the full blown attacks. I should keep the Zyrtec around for these attacks, but I dont. I only get the prescriptions in the spring, summer, and early fall because my insurance will not cover it so it is very expensive. Hope you get some relief. Vanessa

I am up tonight with a full blown sinus attack. even my teeth hurt. I can't take the over the counter stuff becuse of drug interactions. I had this at thanksgiving and dr said claritan d. well tonight its not helping and making me extremely dizzy, wide awake. What do others take?

Hi,

Just thought I'd tell you what works for me. One of my best friends is an Ear, Nose, and Throat doc and since I started having problems with tachycardia, he won't let me take anything with pseudoepinephrine (sudafed) since it seems to worsen tachycardia for me. Claritin D is loratidine (Claritin) and Sudafed (the "D" stands for decongestant) together. It also made me dizzy, and my head felt tingly.

Instead, he has me take Mucinex (over the counter guafinisein). You have to drink it with A LOT of water. It's a mucolitic which means, mucous thinner (sorry to be gross), and for me, it takes away the sinus pressure pretty well. Also, I don't experience any side affects with it. When it's really bad he had me do a sinus lavage with salt water that I make myself. (there are instructions how to do this online, but I felt better having someone show me). The saline solution also loosens stuff up and helps to shrink those sinuses! If I have a full blown infection, I usually take antibiotics, too. He usually tells me to lay off the allergy meds (any antihistimines I'm taking) until the infection has gone away somewhat. I know that some docs do that, they say it dries you out too much to open the sinuses, but others say to keep taking the antihistimines if allergies are what's causing the problem to begin with.

I used to get sinus infections 3-4x a year before I had POTS. I often ended up on steroids because I couldn't get them under control. I was really worried once I was diagnosed with POTS that I would be sick constantly with infections since I wouldn't be able to use decongestants anymore. The exact opposite was true, though. The milder stuff has worked better for me. I missed both my usual August and December full blown infections this year. Finally, something positive about POTS for me!

Take care. I hope you feel better!

Carolyn

You might want to look into this site and give your GP the info.

www.sinucare.com

It is a specially compouinded nasal spray that contains a mixture of antibiotics and antifungals that you spray directly into your nose, so no systemic meds have to be taken.

There us an order form with info and your Dr can call and submit the order for whatever combo they wish to use.

Hope this help, and hope you feel better.. I have had chronic sinus for a long time and it really runs me down.