increased bp when increasing beta blocker dose

Radha

i was wondering if any of you could have any explanation for this, the more and more i increase my beta blockers, the higher my bp is going!! this is the total opposite of what i expected and what i hear from most of you, i have always had very low bp, but now its coming up, but still get the same symptoms, go figure!! but i wish i knew why the more beta i take the bp is going up instead of getting lower, thanks

radha

That is odd. What type of beta blocker are you on and what else are you taking? Are you having a significant increase? Beta blockers don't always lower my pressure especially when I am doing other preventative things such as mega fluids and salt. Are there other reasons that your blood pressure may be rising other than the med or do you feel it is related to beginning the beta blocker?

Carmen

Most people think beta blockers are used to "lower" blood pressure.

As I understand it, beta blockers are used to "regulate" blood pressure. This means they can have different/opposite effects on different people.

I take a beta blocker (atenolol) specifically for the purpose of -raising- my blood pressure. My BP is normally 60/40 without the meds. Hopkins started me on a beta blocker over a decade ago and as I increased the dose, my BP increased to a safer level (about 95/60).

So you are taking a beta blocker to lower your blood pressure?

I am really confused. I'm sorry to ask such an obvious question (this is directed towards the entire audience here), but do you guys struggle with low AND high blood pressure? Or is it the combo of the two (like spiking really high and then dropping crazy low?). I don't really understand...

I have a good understanding of my diagnosis (Neurally Mediated Hypotension), which is that, upon standing or sitting upright, my blood drops into my feet and therefore my blood pressure drops drastically in that moment, and I faint (to put it very simply).

I guess I don't really understand POTS and the other diagnoses. I'm sorry for asking such a dumb question... I have been wondering about it for a while, though. I read the main info page about dysautonomia in general, but it didn't really answer my question.

Sorry, guess I got off topic here...!!! Just trying to understand all of the types of OI, I guess you could say! ;-)

i have always had only low bp and i only increased the betas i have been taking for long time, propranolol, atenolol, nadolol, i rotate them, take different one each day, if i take the same one too often then it doesnt work as good for me, and i take them to control the palpitations, especially when eating, but overall too, and i also take toprol xl everyday, i didnt know betas are supposed to regulate bp, i thought they would only lower bp, which is not why i am taking them, thanks for all your input,

radha

Without trying to sound too vague....

if the beta-blocker is actively lowering your BP, is there a chance that your body doesn't like it and fights it by artificially raising it?

Like I have low BP, but my BP raises when I stand cuz my heart is working harder to pump what little blood I have around my body.

So could it just be your body's response to a BP that's too low??

Just food for thought..

megan, did you think of that explanation yourself or did you read it or did a doctor tell you that? just wondering, if there was somewhere you read that, please let me know so i can read it too, this really has me stumped and i would love to find out why increasing the dose of the betas are raising my bp instead of lowering it even more,thanks

radha

Nope, Radha, i didn't read it anywhere.. I was just thinking about how doctors who don't know me think I have high BP, when really I have low BP until I stand up. Sorry it's not from a medical authority! B)

I hope you figure out what's going on, though.