Icy cold menthol feeling in chest

lschwartz408

Interestingly there are several articles about this sensation and possible causes here.  This may be helpful:

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/menthol-feeling-in-chest

https://yourdoctors.online/what-causes-cold-icy-feeling-in-my-chest/

Since you've been diagnosed with dysautonomia or at least sfn I believe, this might be of interest to consider with a doctor, if other serious causes have been ruled out:

Nerve Irritation

Irritation or inflammation of the nerves in the chest wall, known as intercostal neuralgia, can cause localized chest pain and unusual sensations, including a cooling feeling.

• MomtoGiuliana changed the title to Icy cold menthol feeling in chest

I get this once in a while (usually about once every other month) and when I do my Blood Pressure is usually below 100/65.  It has been happening for over 40 years and I am 70.  It seems the only thing that helps in drinking a lot of fluids.  Doctors have ruled out it is a heart issue.  They seem to think it is dehydration or blood pooling.  H-EDS is in our families thanks to my paternal Grandmother.  My normal BP average is 120/72 at the doctors office though I have had really low reading too.  H-EDS is common in our family, Grandmother, youngest sister and my Son#2 also had POTS.

DADofPotsSon

Yes, my doctor seems to think that it is caused by either dehydration or blood pooling or both!  And of course my HR does go up when the BP goes down (62-72 to 112-135).  He did suggest that I try counter maneuvers but they don't seem to help, but drinking a lot of fluids does.  I guess I just need to watch my fluid intake!  Since most of the time it happens in the early morning I changed my morning coffee to decafe and I had no change.  I have had this problem for nearly 40 years, but in the last 5 years it is more frequent.  I have noticed recently a fluttering in the chest, I immediately check my BP and it is always low, so I drink a lot of fluids with salt and it seems to stop the event from going any further, this is even before the icy feeling in the lungs.

DADofPotsSon

So you DO get the menthol feeling in your lungs? I don’t know what is causing it but I just figured it was nerve damage. I have it when I breathe in and out. It hasn’t gone away for 2 months. Also, I sometimes can’t feel even the icy cold feeling - I just feel NOTHING. The sensory nerves aren’t working at all. I don’t know how to fix this. Thank you for your help and reply.