Dysautonomia and intracranial hypertension

Stitches

There's some evidence between CSF leaks and dysautonomia eg. https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/31118385/ 

If you have intracranial hypertension this can cause spontaneous csf leaks and then cause hypotension. The symptoms of intracranial hypertension and hypotension are basically the same so it's really hard to know without having a surgical procedure to install a temporary measuring system. 

The whole CSF system seems to be poorly understood and leaks, blockages, pressure regulation, and problems with it seems to cause different symptoms including dysautonomia. 

• 10 months later...
On 3/25/2023 at 8:14 AM, GasconAlex said:

The whole CSF system seems to be poorly understood and leaks, blockages, pressure regulation, and problems with it seems to cause different symptoms including dysautonomia. 

I was just in the ER with the usual: tachycardia, dyspnea, terrible tension and pain in my thorax, shoulders and neck, searing headache in the occiput and behind the eyes, tense and painful jaw.  Oftentimes, I have low potassium which triggers the POTS flare, but this time, no.  And this time and the last visit to my favorite ED--a few months ago--I had high BP whereas in the past it has always been low.  I had wondered--did I flip from neurogenic POTS to adrenergic?  What is going on?

But today inter cranial hypertension came to mind as a potential culprit and reading about it, I think there is a good chance.  People with ME/CFS and hEDS (which populations have a ton of cross-over with dysautonomia folk) have really high rates of sub-clinical IHH.  I am going to see if I can get it checked out.  I do know of people who had diagnoses of ME/CFS whose symptoms went into remission for up to a month from a lumbar puncture, which would relieve pressure.  And as well, of those who symptoms retreated with a CFS patch.  There is some connection here......

Any other thoughts or experiences would be very welcome.