Iv fluids won’t hold in body?

ShupeJL10

Hello everyone, so my pots is very severe where I have to do iv fluids at home otherwise I cannot function at all, and I’m still not really functional with them. But the more I’ve done them the more I notice they don’t work as well, it’s like my body cannot hold onto the fluids or they leak somewhere. I’m not sure how else to improve my plasma volume I’m very scared. I’m on fludrocortisone already and desmopressin sometimes but I’m not a big fan of it. Any advice is helpful. Looking into trying albumin if it can be approved 

@ShupeJL10 do you take saline IVs? I also get home infusions for pots and NSS would not help for long periods. Now I get Lactated Ringers so.ution, which is made up from different electrolytes and keeps the fluid In the vessels for longer. I seem to be stable for up to three days on it, whereas Saline would only help for a day, and I pee most of it out! 

19 hours ago, ShupeJL10 said:

Hello everyone, so my pots is very severe where I have to do iv fluids at home otherwise I cannot function at all, and I’m still not really functional with them. But the more I’ve done them the more I notice they don’t work as well, it’s like my body cannot hold onto the fluids or they leak somewhere. I’m not sure how else to improve my plasma volume I’m very scared. I’m on fludrocortisone already and desmopressin sometimes but I’m not a big fan of it. Any advice is helpful. Looking into trying albumin if it can be approved 

Follow Pistol's post and use it as advice!  My Son#2 had the exact same problem and as always the EMT's bringing him in to the ER always gave a regular IV, once in the ER they would then give him saline, and if he still need a little help then one with the electrolytes, then usually he would be like nothing happened and was ready for discharge.  Of course this was all 12-15 years ago.

DADofPotsSon

@Pistolwow that’s very interesting! For me the lactated ringers get peed out more! Or at least they used to I haven’t used them in a while. I think it was because it has way less salt and that’s what helps keeps the fluid in the vessels for me, but now even shorter with saline. I will still ask my doctor to try LR and see how it goes :)

He is an Civil & Environmental Engineer at a large national firm, is a department chief & is licensed in 4 states.  Now he just has low blood pressure, occasional dizziness and very minor brain fog, but still on Florinef for POTS symptoms and also on seizure meds.  I think it has been between 12 & 15 years since he had full blown POTS of which he had it for 3.5 years.   He still has to drink a lot of fluids per day and is on a heavy sea salt diet.  He does the same as my paternal grandmother always did.  Is He fully recovered, No!  But has it under control!  His worst peak was late in his senior year at high school and during the first years at a University.  He was very well known at the Hospital ER.  Campus Security had my number in a speed dial, I had quite a laugh when they told me that.

DADofPotsSon