Evolving Symptoms After Beta-Blockers

JennKay

Hi All -

Am wondering if anyone has had a similar experience after stopping beta blockers. I tried metoprolol then atenolol after having issues with tachycardia and ectopic beats last summer. The beta blockers made me feel horrible and I also think they made things worse for me (more severe adrenaline surges, BP swings, exercise intolerance, tingling hands and feet). I stopped taking them in November and my body has been readjusting since. My BP has become less liable and I have been able to go for regular walks, which together make me feel human again. More recently though, I feel like my sympathetic nervous system has restarted itself and I'm having trouble staying asleep at night. I can fall asleep for 3-4 hours, then I have the hardest time getting any additional restorative sleep.

Has anyone experienced something similar post drug regime changes? How did you manage your symptoms?

@Sushi-  My cardiologist said to just quit taking the beta blockers. I was already only taking 1/4 of a 25mg atenolol tablet at the time. I'm not sure I could have cut the 1/4 tablet in half again. Stopping the atenolol was generally ok and I had only mild rebound symptoms. I had a much harder time stopping the metoprolol, that was a horrible experience I never want to revisit. Rebound tachycardia, ectopic beats, hot flashes - all worse than my "normal" symptoms.