TENS stimulation for autonomic modulation

Echo

Hi everyone, I posted a couple of months ago about some potential treatments using different types of neuromodulation. Yesterday I had an online appointment with the Brai3n clinic and it was suggested to me to try TENS stimulation of the C2 (cervical nerve 2) area. The clinician suggested different settings which I won't post details of here in public but I'm researching C2 and autonomic nervous system and here's some studies I found so far. It seems very interesting!

-Occipital C1-C2 neuromodulation decreases body mass and fat stores and modifies activity of the autonomic nervous system in morbidly obese patients--a pilot study

Findings: No adverse events were observed in this group. One patient reported amelioration of constipation and one reported two incidents of salivation. The average body mass decrease was 5.6 kg in 4 weeks and 8.7 kg in 8 weeks. Body composition study showed a 2-month decrease in body fat of 7.9 kg on average. HRV revealed increased parasympathetic tone (LF/HF 4.4 ± 4.3 SD vs. 1.6 ± 1.7 SD).

C1-C2 occipital stimulation seems being capable of decreasing body mass and affecting a positive shift in body composition and significantly increases the activity of the autonomic nervous system.

-C2 Nerve Field Stimulation for the Treatment of Fibromyalgia: A Prospective, Double-blind, Randomized, Controlled Cross-over Study

Findings: During the 6 week trial phase of the study, patients had an overall decrease of 36% on the fibromyalgia impact questionnaire (FIQ), a decrease of 33% fibromyalgia pain and improvement of 42% on the impact on daily life activities and quality. These results imply an overall improvement in the disease burden, maintained at 6 months follow up, as well as an improvement in life quality of 50%. Seventy six percent of patients were satisfied or very satisfied with their treatment. There seems to be a dose-response curve, with increasing amplitudes leading to better clinical outcomes.

Subcutaneous C2 nerve field stimulation seems to offer a safe and effective treatment option for selected medically intractable patients with fibromyalgia.

There were also a couple of articles about C2 stimulation and decrease in headache but they didn't mention anything about the autonomic nervous system or related conditions. The clinician I spoke to said that this isn't a miracle cure and that not everyone responds to this but that they've had success with some patients using TENS stimulation so this definitely has potential. I'm going to see if I can get a TENS machine for home use and might try it out. 

• 4 weeks later...