Experience with electrolyte/mineral deficiencies

Ed123

Has anyone had experience of an electrolyte/mineral deficiency? Particularly in response to a high salt and fluid diet to treat POTS. If so, what were your symptoms and how did you resolve the issue?

In February I was diagnosed with POTS after 6 months of increasingly severe lightheadedness and orthostatic nausea amongst other symptoms. Luckily I had a lot of success treating my POTS with high salt/water/exercise to the point where I'm almost completely free of these symptoms. However, since about a week after beginning treatment for my POTS I developed completely new symptoms such as muscle twitches, leg cramps and digestive bloating. These issues have become more severe this summer, which may be related to increased sweating. I'm not on medication but I've heard things like high salt, water and sweating can all potentially lead to mineral deficiencies and was wondering if anyone else had experienced a deficiency, potentially as a result of pots treatment. I'm not seeking medical advice but want to see if anyone else has experienced this before altering my fluid/salt due to the hot summer weather, or before seeing a doctor which is difficult due to covid.

Hope everyone's staying as healthy as they can. Dealing with a chronic illness is hard enough without a pandemic on top of everything. :-)

Hello @Ed123 - welcome to the forum, and good job taking care of your POTS symptoms with the above mentioned treatments!!!! -- Yes, you CAN loose a lot of electrolytes when you sweat excessively, and sodium is only one of them. That is why it is important to replenish your electrolytes when you sweat - such as with sports drinks etc. You can see your doctor and he/she an easily check your electrolytes with a metabolic panel  -a lab test that measures them. But if you are uncomfortable seeing your doctor you may be able to just call and ask to have them checked instead of going to the office. Often by replenishing them with mineral rich foods and liquids you can correct any imbalance, such as bananas, nuts, eggs, veggie broth, whole grains etc. But it is always a good idea to check with your PCP, even if by phone. Be well!!!!!