mestinon and midodrine

ariella

Hi

Neuro today prescribed mestinon for suspected neuromuscular weakness and breathing problems. I am currently on midodrine. Will of course check with pcp tomorrow (he anyway has to write out the script for it to be covered by my insurance b/c neuro is out of network). Those of you who now take mestinon, have you been told to stop taking midodrine (proamitine)? Do the 2 interact well? I imagine there may be some overlap?

thanks

ariella

ariella -

i take both (along with other things). obviously if you can get on with less meds that's never a bad thing, but my BP/HR issues have been more stable (relatively speaking) since i've been on my combo of midodrine, mestinon & inderal. (i take other GI & allergy meds but not directly related to HR/BP.) i was put on mestinon & inderal at vandy & had already been on midodrine for some time. when i left i was told i could play around with the midodrine doses to see if i needed it as much or as often, but i definitely did. checking with your doc is obviously a good idea, but as long as you're not someone with regular issues of high BP, i've never heard of the combo being a problem

hope it works for you!

:-)melissa

hi

I started mestinon yesterday for suspected myasthenia gravis. 60mg, 3x/day. It hasn't yet noticably helped my breathing, but did get rid of the miserable muscle cramps that I get at night.

Problem is that I took my first dose of midodrine this morning since starting mestinon, about an hour after taking mestinon. 20 minutes later, had a horrible reaction, mostly shaky potsy stuff, with some trouble speaking and my mouth felt kind of funny. PCP told me to stop the midodrine for now. Anyone warned of overlap? Did they just enhance eachother to the point of overload? For now, waiting it out until the drug is out of my system.

Any idea what happened?

Ariella

I take both. However, I am only on 30mg of Mestinon 3x a day. I had been on 60mg but that dose was just too much for my body. I experienced a lot of shaking and trouble speaking. Once I reduced the dose of mestinon those symptoms went away. I hope you find the right dosage for you and it helps you with everything! :)

~Alicia

Alicia, your experience at 60 sounds like mine this morning. Can't lower the mestinon dose, if anything it is likely to get slowly raised. Maybe I could lower the midodrine. I'll save it for a day when I could afford to feel a little beaten up. Not tomorrow :)

Steph, Also hoping the mestinon just takes care of the POTS on its own. This month has been to precarious to play around.

Good news is that it seems to be starting to help for the myasthenia symptoms. Was able to not use my cane for part of my walk today :):D:D

glad to hear that the mestinon seems to be doing good things for you.

perhaps you'll be lucky & be able to scrap the midodrine all together. i wasn't, but did start the mestinon without the midodrine first so knew what was doing what. for me i still needed to add the midodrine back in but did it gradually and obviously we're all very different. i'm also on a lower dose of the mestinon - only 30mg every 4-5 hours (about 3X/day).

good luck!

:-)melissa