I need advice regarding the minor surgery

Guest Julia59

Guest Julia59

My implantable loop recorder will be installed this Friday.

What local anesthetic is the best? Can they use the type without the epi.....?

I know they can with dental work---but I don't know about minor incisions---when the skin has to be numbed.

The incision will be on the upper left chest---only a 1 or 2 inch incision.

I want to avoid any problems if I can.

Julie :0)

Maybe they can use something with lidocaine???? That's my new favorite! After my ingrown toe removal, I'm all about lidocaine! :rolleyes: I want it again just for the pain relief. Can you call ahead and check with them to make sure you can have a local without the epi, since that is a VERY important issue? That might make you feel better about the procedure overall too...Hope it goes smoothly...

Emily

Guest Julia59

Thanks Emily for your response,

Even though this is a monor procedure---i'm still a bit nervous.

I talked with the cath lab nurse today and she told me all about the procedure.

They can use lidocaine, but they will still have to administer a strong antibiotic into an IV before the procedure. It began with a V----can't remember the name.

They will use valium if I need to be sedated........

i don't have any advice to send your way but just wanted to send you good wishes. you'll be in my thoughts & prayers. check in with us when you're able.

:-)melissa

Good luck on your surgery. I would strongly suggest that you speak with your doctor about your anesthesia concerns, rather than pose this question to your POTS friends. Anesthesia is a very serious issue--one best dealt with one on one with your doctors.

I know that when I have surgery, my pcp always makes sure that the anesthesiologist is on board with my condition, including extra monitoring of vital signs as well as being sure that the operating table, if possible, and the recovery bed have the head raised to accommodate POTS. About 10 years ago, I had a pacemaker inserted in the cath lab and had no problems...at that time no one knew I had POTS.

Other advice: decide now, if feasible, what side of your chest you would want this monitor inserted. Somehow, in my case, the pacemaker was inserted on the right side...that was not a usual situation. I've been told that, if you are right handed, the left side is best unless you shoot guns or arrows. In the case of a pacemaker insertion (initial) you need to wear a sling for about a week or so to help ensure that the pacemaker and the leads don't move around. Thus, a right side sling would make life more difficult if you are right handed.

Again, good luck.

PS Since my initial insertion of the pacemaker, I have had the pacemaker moved (leads not in right position) and a pacemaker replacement.

Guest Julia59

Thanks for all your advice and support! :):)

Please forgive the ramblings of a big sissy---when it comes to drugs.

The only anesthetic required is a local. I found out that no other IV drugs will be needed as it is a very sterile environment. I will not need to be sedated. However, IV fluids will be started---just in case I need sedation.

The liaison has been wonderful, and very informative. She answered every question, and did not make me feel weird when I expressed my concerns about my sensitivity to drugs.

This is a minor procedure that takes about 15 minutes after i'm prepped and the local anesthetic is administered. After the procedure they will have someone show me how to use the device.