Question about Sinus Tachycardia

potsiebarbie

Well two questions actually. One, is sinus Tachycardia and Tachycardia the same thing? Two, does anybody have a hard time getting rid of their tachy sometimes (ie not relieved by simply sitting down). I was in the ER for about 3 hours and my heartrate didn't go under 100. It can be pretty stubborn. And extremely finnicky as sometimes (mostly in the evenings/night) I'm bradycardic.

Hey! 

Tachycardia literally means "fast heart rate". In the medical community, tachycardia is classed as a heart rate of over 100 beats per minute. 

Sinus tachycardia means that the heart rhythm is regular (same amount of time between beats) and the atria and ventricles of the heart are both beating at 100 beats per minute. There are different types of tachycardia and they're named based on where the impulse generates from (sinus node, AV node, or other pathway) and the chamber(s) of the heart beating over 100 beats per minute.

I have issues with my heart rate not going under 100 occasionally. It just happens for me, no rhyme or reason most of the time, and my doctor (electrophysiologist) is aware of it. If I'm symptomatic, I just sit down and try and think about what I might need (salt, hydration, rest, food, legs up) and meet that need. If I'm symptomatic with a heart rate over 100, it usually means I've stretched myself too thin and I need to rest up. Not the greatest solution when you're at work!

As for your tachy/brady fluctuations, I'd recommend talking to your doctor about that.

Sinus tachycardia is what most of us talk about when we talk about tachycardia. 

Also you are not alone with the HR of over 100 that doesn't seem to want to come down. Try meditating while laying down to get it to come down. It sometimes helps to "relax" one body part at a time. I have had people notice when I am walking any kind of distance I kind of shut down. It is me meditating to keep my HR down. If I don't my POTS bothers me way more.