reviewing medical records

hi

i had some medical records from 2011 sent to my primary care on May 15 for her to review & summarize to send to Dr Blitshteyn. she was also going to send summaries from my cardiologist & psych team (they all wrote their own summaries, she was just going to forward them all together) ... my question is, how long should I give her before I call/email to see if she’s reviewed them yet? i had asked her to email me when she sent them & I have yet to hear from her. 

my other question is, do I need to ask my primary care for a referral to a rheumatologist & neurologist/neurosurgeon? I have a diagnosis for neuro. I don’t have anything concrete for rheumatologist (except my ANA tests positive) but I do have a lot of the symptoms of an autoimmune disorder as well as a long family history of random autoimmune disorders.

thanks in advance

shannon

Guest KiminOrlando

Depends. You technically might not need a referral. Does your insurance require it? Mine doesn't, still some doctors won't see you unless you are referred by another doctor. If you have a positive ANA, you have enough for a Rheumatologist to see you. They usually want to make the diagnosis, not the GP.

It has been almost a month on the med records. I think it is reasonable to make an inquiry. The request for transfer was made, so maybe confirm that they were received and the date would be a good first step. It has taken 2 to 3 weeks just for some of my records to be transferred or occasionally they were never acted on.