Flying with a wheelchair for the first time

Hey all, 

I am going to Portland to visit family in a couple weeks and will be bringing my new wheelchair. It's a Quickie QRi (rigid ultralight). My mom made the flight reservations before I got the chair so we weren't able to make note of it then. I'm just wondering if anyone has any tips/first hand experience to offer. I'm flying United, and have an 8 hour layover in Newark. From my research on their website, it looks like I don't necessarily need to notify them ahead of time, but it might be helpful. I don't know if I want to request assistance or if my mom will be willing to push me, or I will be able to push myself. That sort of depends on how I'm feeling. We do also have TSA Precheck so that helps a ton. Obviously as someone who can walk, I'll be able to go through security like normal but I'm curious as to what happens with my chair. Also, should I notify the person at the check in desk that I want preboarding or is that something that can happen at the gate? 

Guest KiminOrlando

I recommend calling ahead and requesting preboard. They will get you on the plane, then check your wheelchair at the gate. When you land they will then know to pull the wheelchair out first otherwise there could be confusion. Ask for assistance during the layover because your flight could be late, you may have carryon and your connection could be on another concourse or canceled. If you get their assistance, you get extra help in case something goes wrong. Likely you could manage if nothing goes wrong, but if something does, you will be on your own. Also, DO NOT leave the airport until you fully inspect your wheelchair. My armrest got broken. Insurance doesn't cover it and airlines give you such a short time to prove damage.

Good for you! using a chair when traveling was so hard for me to accept, but also freeing and such a relief. A relief also for this traveling with me. Hope it's a tool for freedom for you. Call customer service and let them know ahead of time. Issues arise when there's airports under construction, etc that use stairs or a bus to get to the gait, etc. and they don't have pre-arranged personal to get you through that process. Have had some anxiety ridden pre-boarding time hoping I can get my chair onto the concourse. You able to walk from the plane door to your seat? If so, it's so easy to just gate check your chair and have it waiting for you when you get off. Usually in security they've let my kids/husband go through the line I need to use with me (not always, but usually). Having a note from your doc that you need fluids available can also be a life saver, if you haven't done this already. I had issues in security once and had to wait without water and they wouldn't let my husband bring me a drink from beyond security. It was TERRIBLE. Anyway, hope your journey is a good one. Enjoy your visit!

My mom flies with a motorized chair.  If yours is motorized, they'll want to know what kind of battery it has, and certain batteries can't be allowed onboard.  She gate checks it at the bottom of the ramp.  Dad folds it up and puts on the travel cover.  She (and anyone traveling with her) gets to go through the handicapped security line, and she boards first with the other people who need assistance or extra time to get down the ramp.  I can't remember what happens at security.  She can walk through the metal detector, but I don't remember what happens to the chair.