Any suggestions?

Shawna

Hey all! I seem to only suffer tachycardia and spike in bp when waking early in the morning. I have had numerous ecgs - halter monitors - stress test and even a 24 hr urine to see if a pheo was the reason. No one can tell me what is going on in my body. Only that I have normal sinus tachycardia. I have to call the ambulance at least 2 times a month due to my heart rate, and by the time they transport me to the hospital, the symptoms have calmed. I take an ativan on the mornings that I know I cannot breath through them or cope naturally. Some days it isn't there and others it's weeks at a time. I am so lost as to where to look for help next. All Drs say panic and anxiety, but this is not the same...it is almost as if as soon as wake and start to move in bed, my heart just starts to pound and then when I sit  up, it continues to increase speed. Some days I can manage not to add adrenaline, but others I can't. Is my bp dipping too low during sleep and perhaps this is a type of reflex tachycardia to prevent fainting? Any one have similar experiences? It's like i woke up 3 years ago with this  one morning...and it's never left.

One suggestion could be to keep a blood pressure cuff on your nightstand and take your blood pressure upon awakening (before you sit up or stand up). It’ll show you (and your doctor) what your heart rate and bp are doing.

Then after you’ve stood up and walked around a few minutes, take it again (while still standing).

Later on, when everything feels “calm” and you don’t feel dizzy or weird or anything take a reading with the blood pressure cuff again.

The “before and after” various readings might help you and your doctor figure out whether the tachycardia is in response to your blood pressure dropping. 

I know my own doctor found my wrist blood pressure cuff readings very useful. They led him to order specific medical tests, and helped him more specifically advise me what I should do when certain bp cuff readings occur. 

Edited by Missy M
typo

I agree with @Missy M, monitor and share with your Drs.  My neurologist told me to drink 16-32oz of water with salt and fludricortisone a half hour before I get out of bed so I sit up drink it and take the pills then lay down and meditate for a half hour.  It stabilizes me enough to get up, put on my compression stockings and make some caffeine free tea before I sit back down.

I have never fainted, even on the TTT.  That isn’t in the diagnostic criteria, it’s an indicator certainly but not the only symptom.  Maybe if you look at the main page of this site or Mayo’s you can find the criteria.  My opinion is to get to a Dr who specializes in dysautonomia.  There’s a list of those on the main page of this site too.