Electric Wheelchair/ Scooter Experience

statesof

Hey everyone, I've been thinking more and more about seeing if I would be able to get an electric wheelchair/ scooter if insurance would be able to cover any of it and if my doctors are on board. For me with my POTS there is still my reaction to walking/ physical exercise that has yet to be explained; it's weird I can bike 5-10 miles sometimes on a stationary bike (as long as I keep my hr up and just go the whole time) but I can only walk like 12-15 feet without stopping or my brain starts to feel bad and all my symptoms come on and it takes days to recover. Needless to say this really limits my life.

Things like going to a museum, getting to a doctor's appointment, getting groceries, taking my dog for a walk, even working (thankfully I work remotely and only go into the office some days) and getting from the parking lot to the office - these things are either impossible or I have to take it 12 steps at a time and double up on my meds for those days. At this point I really just like the idea of having that sense of freedom, that I'm sure all of us is felt, that is lost when suddenly your body looks the exact same and you can walk but only extremely short distances, you can lift stuff but only small amounts of weight. Just wanted to see if anyone has experiences in getting one of these things and if it has impacted your life for the better or allows you to do more sociall, and also if it was difficult to get insurance to cover any of it?

I got a foldable mobility scooter about a year ago, and it has been a game changer for the better! I can now go to many places I had stopped going on account of not being able to do that amount of walking. Sweet freedom! I REALLY like the foldable aspect of it because I no longer drive (due to dizzy spells and passing out) and it means friends can come pick me up without having to have a special handicapped van or special hitch on their vehicle. We can fold the scooter up and put it in their trunk or the back of an SUV. 

It will depend upon your particular insurance policy whether it’s covered. My particular health insurance policy will not cover a mobility scooter no matter what. But other policies might. You would need to ask them. Those that do would probably require a doctor’s note stating it is necessary. 

Hope that helps.

I, too, get symptomatic if I walk too slowly (but not as bad as you).  I presume that slow walking gives enough opportunity for blood to pool, but faster walking keeps the blood moving sufficiently that it doesn't pool.  My mom got a motorized wheelchair for spinal stenosis, and she loves being able to go places again.  It is definitely worth considering, but also maybe by working on your cycling your tolerance for walking will increase?  I remember reading that after several months of consistent cardio exercise you get increased blood volume.

Thanks Missy and Lily. Missy - do you have any trouble lifting heavy stuff? Like is that a problem for you to lift the mobility scooter you got? And how long does it go for on a charge? Would you be able to use it all day in an office or work setting or going to a museum or anything like that? Thanks.