Pregnancy and POTS symptoms

Bluebonnet08

Hi Everyone,

I am currently 22 weeks pregnant.  Before this pregnancy (which is my second), my condition had stabilized a bit.  I was managing the symptoms with IV fluids and while I was still having a lot of problems, I felt better.  During the past two weeks, I feel like my condition has worsened again.  My blood pressure has been falling quite low (78/46 one day) and my HR has been up (150bpm this morning).  I am getting 2 IVs a week now.  Did anyone else get worse with their pregnancy?  Did anything help?  Did it improve during the 3rd trimester?

Finally, should I try to have a natural birth again?  If my HR is 150bpm just walking around what would it do during actual birth??  :(

Thanks!

I would talk to your ob/gyn about concerns about hr during labor.  Is your hr elevated when sitting or lying or only standing?  That could play a role in evaluating a concern about hr during labor.

I was a very unusual case I believe.  I developed full blown POTS during pregnancy.  It was at it's worst around week 32-33--at which point I had to quit working.  It got better again towards week 38-40.  I had a complication during labor that I am quite sure was not POTS related and had a C-section.  Afterwards I had even more severe POTS for months until it was finally diagnosed.  So unfortunately I was not diagnosed with POTS while I had it during pregnancy, despite becoming disabled by it.  I did have saline IV a couple of times during pregnancy and I remember I would feel loads better for a day or so afterwards, but at the time there was no explanation as to why.  My ob-gyn was very unconcerned about my symptoms and was not concerned about me being in labor with a high hr, nor was a cardiologist I saw.  However, for me, my hr was fairly normal sitting or lying, it was only standing that it was high.

• 1 month later...

Thanks!  I have an appointment with my cardiologist in March to discuss some of these things.  My OBs seem relatively unconcerned with the labor.  They just say I will get an IV.  I've done a natural, unmedicated birth once before so they feel like it will be fine again.  I am still concerned about having tachycardia while in labor. 

My symptoms were relatively stable but have been much worse in the 2nd trimester.  I've had a couple more episodes where my heart races to 150bpm out of nowhere.  It's so scary.  I hope the 3rd trimester is easier.