Fludrocortisone(florinef) weird side effects

SammyJo

I started this medication about a week ago and didn't noticed anything at first and then my bp raised somewhat from being very low to now 117/70 which is better.  I started feeling a little better with it but then started getting a little more anxious than usual... then I started feeling irritable. I thought ok no big deal and ignored it, then today I could not stop worrying about things and felt very strange and I can not fall asleep. I wish I could describe it better but it's a little scary. I'm not sure how to taper off this medication and I'm sure whatever the pharmacist tells me will be different than what my cardio would say. Has anyone experienced these symptoms and how have you stopped taking it? 

Hi SammyJo,

i have been on fludrocortisone 2 tablets every day for just about a year. At first I had weird sensations and I did get a little anxious and very grumpy and snappy without meaning to... before I knew it I was yelling full volume at one of my cats for putting hair on my couch I felt like a crazy person but it got better as my body adjusted after a couple of weeks. I also started on propranolol and that has helped my HR and also my anxiety and grumpiness although that is still there but I have read somewhere (don't quote me) that a drop in blood pressure can make you irritable. I find in the morning within the first hour I am so irritable that I ask my son to get ready for school and have breakfast and I go and get ready in a quiet environment to start the day without anger.

Hi, I've been on fludrocortisone for 4 years now. Currently taking 0.1 mg twice a day, for a period of about 2 years I was on 0.15 three times a day.

It is a steroid which takes a little time to reach a level in the blood that is therapeutic. For me it took about 14 days, sounds like maybe it was a week for you. As it is a steroid it can also affect mood and emotions. When I first started it I was a real basket case and rather distraught at times, thankfully the intensity of this effect diminished over time. I still have some difficulty with it intensifying my emotions, especially around that time of the month. For me I would rather deal with the emotional outbursts and anxiety than have my blood pressure lower. I already pass out, I don't want to pass out more which is what would happen if I stopped the medication. Without it my over all blood pressure drops and even midodrine will not bring it up. (My midodrine is 10-20 mg 5 x a day) That said, several months ago I started having episodes of high blood pressures, greater than 150/110. My cardiologist did not want to stop the Florinef because he felt we would loose what little control we had with my blood pressure. Therefore I am also prescribed clonidine to lower my bp when I'm over 155 systolic. (0.1 mg 3 x a day as needed) He felt this was a safer route as clonidine, like midodrine, is fast acting. So if it brought me down too much than it would only be for a few hours.

Florinef works by causing the body to retain extra salt and wastes potassium. The extra salt in turn means your body holds on to more water, higher blood volume will usually give you a higher blood pressure. Because it's purpose is water retention, it can cause edema, especially in the lower extremities. It also makes it hard, for me at least, to loose weight. 

Sorry this is so long, I hope you find something helpful!

Thanks guys it was very helpful. It was almost like the feeling of "impending doom" and I just had to sit up all night crying. It also made me very awake which was odd bc I typically get sleepy on the medication... I may try to continue use but if this "psychotic episode" happens again I'm stopping it.