allergies, asthma--do you take beta blockers

karen5686

On 8/17/2017 at 0:43 PM, RecipeForDisaster said:

Yes, I have allergies and very bad asthma. I was really afraid to take metoprolol but started at a very low dose and worked up. Knock on wood, I have had no trouble with it and it has helped me feel better with less tachycardia and pounding. I take 25-37.5mg daily in the extended release 24 hour form.

Thank you for your response. I also would like to ask the following question: Can allergies trigger very bad symptoms of POTS? I don't know if I have Mass Cell Activation or just simple allergies. 

On ‎8‎/‎17‎/‎2017 at 4:34 PM, HangingByAThread said:

How bad are your allergies?  I was initially told I might benefit from a beta blocker but then a second doctor said I shouldn't take them because I have anaphylaxis and if I needed my epi-pen, I might not respond to it or might need a higher dose.  I was given something else to take and never tried the beta blockers.

Thank you for response. I also would like to ask the following question: Has anyone found that allergies trigger very bad symptoms of POTS? I don't know if I have Mass Cell Activation or just simple allergies. 

I have not been diagnosed with Mast Cell... but then I really haven't managed to get a diagnosis other than idiopathic hypotension, syncope and collapse, tachycardia, and other useless diagnoses. My doctors told me that I might need extra epinephrine in case of an allergic reaction while on metoprolol, and thankfully I haven't been able to test that yet. I carry about 6 epi-pens anyway. I haven't really seen a connection between allergies and low blood pressure, outside of anaphylactic reactions, but maybe?