Dyspnea on Exertion (trouble breathing)

Don

Does this sound familiar to anyone?  I saw my neurologist this morning.  She is referring me to a pulmonologist for a Lung function test.  I complained that I stop breathing with exertion (physical activity).  I bought a pulse oxymeter to track my O2 saturation so I can report back to my doctors.  They are interested in what find.  I was formerly oxygen dependent at night and used 2.5 Liters / per min. via nasal cannula.  I thought it resolved as I was retested and told I could stop using it.  But I may be symptomatic again.  I don't want to be oxygen dependent.  I told my doctor that it happens only after I wake up.  My neurologist hopes that pulmonary can shed some light on the situation.  She referred me to a group that works in the same hospital she does.  This is good because all my records are in one place.  So we'll see.  

What kind of readings have you gotten from the oxymeter? Do you have POTS? Since you have had access to extra oxygen, can you describe how it makes you feel?

I've wondered why there aren't any oxygen treatments for POTS patients, if lack of oxygen causes the horrible feeling of brain fog, fatigue and cognitive dysfunction, there must be some sad truth about it not working, that I haven't read about yet... 

I'm going to get a pulse oxymeter for my husband, and I'm already nervous about what readings we'll get and what to do about it. 

Good luck and please tell us what the pulmonologist says!

Hi Finnmin,

I am diagnosed with autonomic neuropathy.  It is not clear yet what my diagnosis entails.   To answer your questions, I have not been able to duplicate the breathing troubles that I sometimes have.  It's not everyday.  So I haven't been able to track any desaturation readings.  Mine have all been 97-98.  When I required oxygen, my levels would drop below 85 for more than half an hour.  Which is rather dangerous.  The oxygen I was prescribed at night came from an at-home concentrator.  It was big, and HEAVY.  Not portable.  The respiratory company came to service it about every 6 months.  They gave me the cannula tubing to replace every week or infections can occur.  The rental cost was relatively low. 

As for your next questions, Low oxygen saturation levels can exhibit as fatigue, brain fog, and cognitive impairment.  The brain does not like to be starved of oxygen.  I was diagnosed by an overnight oximetry.  I wore a pulse ox on my finger attached to a small computer that tracked my sat levels all night while I slept.  This is ordered by a pulmonologist.  The extra oxygen helped me sleep better and wake up more rested.  

• 5 weeks later...

Have you had a sleep study done? I get short of breath when ever I get up too quickly or walk too far or if it is humid out, alot of reasons. And I also have sleep apnea, which I will be getting a mask to wear at night. I have had it in the past with obesity, this time it is age and maybe POTS related.

Debbie

I'm am supposed to have a sleep study done sometime in the next couple weeks. I had one done about 5 years ago and it was negative for sleep apnea.  I tested positive for nocturnal hypoxia though.  I had a pulmonary function test done about two weeks ago and a chest CT yesterday.  PFT reiterated my asthma dx.  That's my third one.  I've had several chest x-rays.  I've been in the ER about 3-4x for difficulty breathing.  I have had a few EKG's as well.  

14 hours ago, Don said:

I'm am supposed to have a sleep study done sometime in the next couple weeks. I had one done about 5 years ago and it was negative for sleep apnea.  I tested positive for nocturnal hypoxia though.  I had a pulmonary function test done about two weeks ago and a chest CT yesterday.  PFT reiterated my asthma dx.  That's my third one.  I've had several chest x-rays.  I've been in the ER about 3-4x for difficulty breathing.  I have had a few EKG's as well.  

What did they say when you went to the ER ? Did they do anything to help your breathing?