Modafinil losing effectiveness

Hi there,

Has anyone had experience with modafinil losing effectiveness?  I have had good success with improved focus and concentration for school work but somewhat without warning it appears to have stopped working and my ability to study and focus is lost (and, as well, I have had unexplainable, not stop ectopic beats for 4 weeks, increase in fatigue etc.).   Were there other stimulants that you tried?  

Kathy, sorry to hear provigil has lost its effectiveness. How long were you taking it?  There's another stimulant I've heard rxed called nuvigil.  I'm not sure if you had trouble getting the provigil covered with your insurance co. But nuvigil has been difficult to get approved also. Some members have also had success with ritilin, but I don't think it's as mild as provigil, so tachycardia could be a problem

Hi Kathy,

Yes, I have had this happen to me as well.  I accidentally found that cutting down my dose or stopping for a few days and then going back to it helped make it more effective afterwards.  It took a few weeks to see this effect though.

As Sarah suggested, there is also Nuvigil.  Nuvigil is the exact same drug as Provigil, except that it is longer acting.  I actually had to switch from Nuvigil to Provigil because on the Nuvigil I could go days without feeling the need to sleep.  Provigil has been better for me, in that it is shorter acting.

In terms of other stimulants, my doctor recently discussed other options with me including Ritalin and Adderal; however, the risk of tachycardia is much greater with these than Provigil or Nuvigil.  So you will need to talk to your cardiologist first.

Also, my doctor suggested that adding Xyrem at night would give me better night-time sleep and might help make the Provigil more effective at reducing daytime fatigue.  That may be something you want to ask about as well.

~ Sarah

Hi SarahA, 

Thanks for your reply and the link to the previous topic.  That is interesting to learn about Nuvigil.  I am outside of the US so I would have to look and see if it is available.  Generic Provigil is covered for me.   I have been taking it since May but with breaks when I am off school (4 weeks in the summer, 3 weeks in December).   I am also still below the max daily dose.  

SarahW, 

Yes, I may try varying the dose a bit.  I was able to go off it completely during non-school times but when intense study is needed I find it difficult.  Thanks for the tip about Xyrem too.  I will definitely bring these ideas to my next appointment.

Kathy

• 6 months later...
  • On 3/8/2017 at 2:13 PM, TachyKathy said:

Hi there,

Has anyone had experience with modafinil losing effectiveness?  I have had good success with improved focus and concentration for school work but somewhat without warning it appears to have stopped working and my ability to study and focus is lost (and, as well, I have had unexplainable, not stop ectopic beats for 4 weeks, increase in fatigue etc.).   Were there other stimulants that you tried?  

I use modafinil it works without any side effects 

•