Flying

Bluebonnet08

Has anyone had any experience flying while having this condition?  I used to fly quite a bit when my condition was milder and I wasn't diagnosed.  Now that it's more severe, I am not sure how I would handle flying.  I've read that it isn't good for people with POTS.  

Do you have any experience flying and how did you handle it?  Was it a huge stressor on your body and/or did it take you awhile to recover?  

Do you think the length of the flight matters?  My husband would like for me to accompany him on a business trip, but the flight is almost 6 hours.  I am just not sure!

Thanks for any input.

I fly about once a year. No problems on the plane.  Lift off and landing are not an issue. Even bumpy flights have been fine for me.  Much better than riding in a car.  Feel fine when I get off the plane. 

If the security line is long, standing in it could be problematic for you if standing is something that normally bothers you.  

I buy bottles of Diet Pepsi and water as soon as I get through security so I have plenty of caffeine to constrict my veins and liquid. I also bring a lot of salty snacks with me. I get an isle seat and use the rest room often to stretch my legs. (I do that even when I am not flying).  

I find flying makes my POTS symptoms worse. What helps a lot is to increase my meds (Mestinon in particular) for the flight and for the day or two afterward, and I make sure I am well hydrated throughout the flight. I also rest after the flight if I can, maybe just a take a walk to get the circulation going. 

I'm not sure 100% if flight time makes much difference or not, but I think intuitively it would. The longest flight I have done since I got POTS was six hours and I managed that ok, but on some shorter flights I have felt quite ill after the flight.

Good luck!

Just now, angelloz said:

I am always nervous, but seem to do fine.  As mentioned by Jan...the lines and standing can be the worst problem for me. I too bring snacks and am very hydrated beforehand.

“If we surrendered
to earth’s intelligence
we could rise up rooted, like trees.”
—Rainer Maria Rilke

My doctor was kind enough to give me handicap status and I use a cane for balance and dizziness. Answering the question on the application about the cane placed me in a "special short line" and first on the plane status which really saved me. I did fine on the flight-about 4 hours but since I was going to my nieces wedding I was excited. But I came a day early and gave myself lots of times to rest and I did fine. Good luck !! and enjoy!

Debbie