High BP????

After 12 years of struggling with my POTS I have now started to have high blood pressure. Earlier this year it started running high.180/98.   It spikes at times  to 205/132. I went to my cardiologist and have had a series of test over the past month and I have another in December. My PET scan showed no blockages, but did show hardening of the arteries. He said this is caused by scaring of the vessels due to the stretching of the vessels. Other wise from the pooling of blood. He said this is the long term result of having POTS. Currently I am only on metropol for my tachycardia. I return to him the end of December for the results of all of tests and hopefully a plan.

I am worried about the onset of early congestive heart failure. I am only 46 years old and it seems horrible to be at this stage already.  Is anyone else having the same issues?  Are there any studies showing the long term effects of POTS? Are there stages we will go thru?  My brain fog has been horrible the past year and I can't  recall seeing or reading on the long term effects, but I am very curious.  Thanks for the help.

Nolie

Hi,

I'm not sure if this helps or not, but I've had a PET Scan and it was normal. I had a ton of cardiac tests, too and the only one that came back abnormal was a bubble echo showing I have a PFO. I developed POTS symptoms at 19, and I'm now 30. I struggle with labile BP's now, but within the first 7 years I rarely had a pressure under 150/90 and it ranged into 200/120.   I know exactly how you feel, these numbers are terribly scary. I'm not sure what changed, but something did because I now bottom when standing too quickly or for too long. I was originally dx'ed with Orthostatic Hypertension. It does make treatment hard, I carry midodrine (raises BP) and clonidine (lowers bp) with me in my purse.  Wishing you the best. Sarah