Boyfriend adjusting to my illness

Hi there,

I've been in a relationship for 2 1/2 years, living together for 1 1/2 years. When I first started dating my boyfriend my symptoms had been temporarily pretty well controlled on my meds. But about a year ago they got real bad again. He doesn't find interest in medicine and is grossed out easily by things. Its been really hard on him seeing me get sick, and he doesn't know how to deal with it all. He is definitely there for me, and loves me, but he doesn't like to talk about it all and i can see he is dissapointed when i cant do stuff. I can tell he is struggling with it all. Any advice on coping with this kind of thing? For both patient and significant other? Thank s! - Mary

Hi Mary,

Sorry to hear that your symptoms have come back :(

I've had this exact issue happen in my relationship also, and I'm sure it'll happen again just because of the nature of this condition and how unpredictable it is. There have been times in my relationship that I've not been able to do anything but watch movies and Netflix and order take out. There is no doubt that it can take it's toll a bit on a relationship, especially when your feeling so terrible and your significant other doesn't understand or know how to help you. I think a lot of men want to be the "fixer" and when we are so sick, they are left feeling helpless. I've found it helpful to have my fiancé come to the big doctor appointments, especially with my POTS doctors, so he can hear for himself how difficult it is to manage this condition. I also have taken advantage of my good days, and make the most of the time we have together while I am feeling well enough to go out and do things, however far and few in between they are. I try to make up for lost time by doing really thoughtful things to remind him that I truly care, I leave notes on his car before he leaves in the morning, make his favorite dinners, order his favorite supplements online, etc.

Again, sorry you aren't feeling well and wishing you the best, Sarah