Metoprolol and St John's Wort

Hello! I was just curious if anyone who is on Metoprolol has also taken St John's Wort, and if so, were there any issues? I tend to have high anxiety (which seems to be a byproduct of the hyper POTS, or at least exacerbated by it), and a friend of mine suggested St John's Wort. I was just at a doctor's appointment today and, of course, forgot to ask about it. I was just curious if anyone else had tried the two together at all. Thanks and hope everyone is having a good day! =)

I have not , but occasionally when I have a question about two medications I will call and ask the pharmacist.  Can usually get a faster answer but they may suggest you check with your doctor anyway.

That's actually not a bad idea. For whatever reason, I hadn't thought of it! :) Thank you!

Hey,

I actually found these studies recently:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20565044
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/14709951

It turns out that SJW does have an effect on balancing the autonomic nervous system. When I tried SJW a few years back (before I got POTS) for mood disorders, it actually was a bit overstimulating. It is worth a try, but always start with low doses - taking a 1/2 or even 1/4 of a cap to start. 

I don't think it would have an interaction with a beta-blocker. My doctor once even recommended SJW while I was already taking Carvedilol.

Chziime, 

Very interesting articles, thank you! And I did end up talking with my doctor and I think I'm going to give it a go :)