symptomatic low heart rate & palpitations

htberg

I have a low heart rate often. It seems to hit frequently at the grocery store so I have to go at un-populated times and run through the aisles to keep it up so I don't faint.   Last week it was 53 and it skipped a lot for 4 hours.  Beat 3 times then skipped, beat 3 times then skipped.  The next day I ended up with a kidney infection so I assume that was my dysautonomia alerting me that something was wrong but it didn't know how to respond appropriately.  However, then yesterday afternoon it was 51.  I ran up and down the stairs and it stayed at 51.  I had brain fog and a headache.  When I finally got my heart rate back up to 64, the headache went away and so did the brain fog.  Wondering now if this is normal for dysautonomia or if i need to consult my primary or my cardiologist?  It sounds like (from other posts) that an asymptomatic low heart rate is okay and nothing to worry about.  I also don't want to overreact.  Also wondering if others with dysautonomia feel their bodies either overreact to things or react oddly or opposite--i.e. when I am hyperthyroid I can sleep 8 hours and don't have diarrhea.

You may want to consult a cardiologist. There are other things that can cause low heart rates that are dangerous and need to be ruled out before assuming this is a benign dysautonomia issue. We have a member that recently needed a pacemaker implanted due to low heart rate. My mom had to have an emergency pacemaker implanted 2 years ago for low heart rate. 

Thanks everyone.  I went to the cardiologist today.  He didn't think anything was emergent (but today my heart rate was back to 60) so I'm set up for an echo, stress test and 30 day monitor next week.  He said there is some type of diagnosis where your heart rate drops and you can't get it up again even w/exercise, caffeine, etc., but mine usually goes back up w/some effort, just wasn't this week.