Metallic Taste?

Do any of you get a weird, metallic taste in your mouth?  

This is a new symptom for me.  It started in early December.  It's not medication related.  

It happens on most (but not every) day.  Some days it's mild, and some days it's really strong.  

Stephanie

No I don't although I did as a kid.

But, one thing that I know can cause this is when small amounts of cerebrospinal fluid leak down your throat. It's rare but can happen. I bring it up because of the prevalence of EDS in our population as it is somewhat more common in EDS patients especially those with Chiari. 

Hi Draven, When I was anemic, I had this symptom pretty frequently. It went away once I started receiving IV iron infusions.  They also checked thyroid labs when I told them about having a metallic taste, too.

You mentioned its not medication related, but do you take any supplements? certain supplements can cause it.  

Also, if you have sinus infections, upper resp. lingering colds, etc. those can cause that symptom also.  Hope you get it figured out soon!

Did you happen to eat a lot of pine nuts just before the metallic taste?  There is a species of pine nut in Asia that gives some people a metallic taste.  Look up Pine Mouth.  I had it once, and it was so annoying!  It took about a week to wear off.

Thanks for the replies!

I've had all of my levels tested.  I'm not anemic.  I do run a bit on the hypothyroid side, but I'm on medication that is keeping it level.  

Weird about the Pine Nuts.  I definitely haven't eaten any of them though .  

Hmmm, the cerebral spinal fluid leak sounds like a possibility.  The metallic taste started shortly after a plane ride (my POTS type symptoms were really bad when we were at peak altitude, for whatever reason).  I've also started to get a weird pressure in my ear (no pain), and then a tiny bit of clear fluid comes out (which relieves the pressure).  

I've just noticed that although the metallic taste happens often on its own, it also always happens before and during this ear pressure/fluid.  And you know what?  It does kind of feel like a tiny bit of something going down my throat (and maybe the ear fluid is a bit of overflow that happens every now and then).  Sometimes it makes me feel really nauseated. 

I mentioned it to my doctor at my last visit.  She wasn't concerned.  I'll bring it up again though, because something isn't right.  

Thanks!

:)

When I had similiar symptoms of  metallic test in my mouth. It took some time to figure it out. I saw ENT and GI before it all made sense.  I eventually lost my  sense of taste then had problems swallowing with pain. This is when i knew this was far serious than I thought. i was miserable to say the least. it was due to worsening of GERD which resulted into esophagitis from taking high dose of  ALA ( Aphla Lipoic Acid..great drug,  just didn't like my body). It took weeks to see improvement  after a change in proton pump inhibitor  and increased dosage to twice a day . I have EDS as well and Autonomic Dysfunction. See GI for evaluation.

Huh, that's interesting. 

GERD was ruled out in the past, but I do have Gastroparesis.  I wonder if it could be something new (GERDish) popping up.  

Thanks for the reply!

• 3 years later...
On 4/3/2016 at 8:17 PM, Guest said:

I have POTS and I am currently and have been in the past experiencing a metallic taste in my mouth for the past 4 or 5 months.  I was unknowingly overdosing on Magnesium, stopped that with some improvement and then the taste came back full force.  I have taken myself off supplements for almost 3 months and I still have the metallic taste.  So, after reading your post I am really wondering if it is related to POTS   Thanks, Jackie

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/2/2016 at 11:20 PM, Guest said:

Thanks for the replies!

I've had all of my levels tested.  I'm not anemic.  I do run a bit on the hypothyroid side, but I'm on medication that is keeping it level.  

Weird about the Pine Nuts.  I definitely haven't eaten any of them though .  

Hmmm, the cerebral spinal fluid leak sounds like a possibility.  The metallic taste started shortly after a plane ride (my POTS type symptoms were really bad when we were at peak altitude, for whatever reason).  I've also started to get a weird pressure in my ear (no pain), and then a tiny bit of clear fluid comes out (which relieves the pressure).  

I've just noticed that although the metallic taste happens often on its own, it also always happens before and during this ear pressure/fluid.  And you know what?  It does kind of feel like a tiny bit of something going down my throat (and maybe the ear fluid is a bit of overflow that happens every now and then).  Sometimes it makes me feel really nauseated. 

I mentioned it to my doctor at my last visit.  She wasn't concerned.  I'll bring it up again though, because something isn't right.  

Thanks!

:)

I've had this metallic taste on and off for yrs. Haven't long been diagnosed with pots so don't know if it's related. Another thing you said about fluid coming out of your ear. I also had fluid coming out of my ear and turned out I had something called cholesteatoma in both ears, it would be highly unlikely you have this. But I would strongly suggest you get your ear checked as fluid shouldn't be coming out. Another thing is CSF leak, again highly unlikely. I've just had a brain MRI and I worry about a cranial CSF leak as the problem with my ears caused my brain to herniate into my one ear as the cholesteatoma grew into the temporal bone. But thinking now maybe this metallic taste has just be a symptom of pots all along and may have had pots for years without knowing.

Please do insist to your doctor you want this checked and have them refer you to ent. If you feel something is not right make sure they listen to you