Uti meds that seem to work?

Faye

I have a UTI and started cipro 3 days back but it doesn't seem to be getting better, not worse either, 

left a message with pcp and they are going to change to a sulfur base...just wondered if anyone found one antibiotic works better than another with UTI for patines with autonimia issues....I also just started taking. Cranberry d mannose....just figure can't hurt. I have had UTI before but usually by day 3 I am much better....but this first time while being Ina flare do POTs...any thoughts or things that worked or didn't would be appericTed

Hi Faye,

I'm sorry you are dealing with this.  Like many women with dysautonomia,  I'm well-acqainted with UTIs and I take Bactrim -- a sulphur amalgam.  (It can also be used by women at a low dose prophylactically before sex.)

Yet, I'm writing because I would like to stress here that Cipro and other antibiotics in the fluoroquinolone class (including Levaquin and others) can be neurotoxic and cause sensory and autonomic neuropathies.

There is a lot written on this on the web. 

Also, I think PPIs, like Prilosec and Nexium, can also cause dysautonomia.  This is important information, for both bladder issues and GERD are common among those of us with autonomic issues.  

By the way, I noted another poster talked about the UTI/yeast infection cycle. Antibiotics can cause yeast infections,  so imo it's probably a good idea to use an OTC product like Monostat on your last day of antibiotic use.

Hope this isn't redundant given all the great info. on this site!

Thanks Sylvie, 

My Dr switched me to Bactrim and it seems to be working which is good. This is for sure something I am going to need to recall this experience.... Our bodies are just a bit complicated and almost a guessing game of what will happen. It would be nice if we all fell into the most common responses, rather than the something you don't expect.