Having a dog

kpflma

Hello all, Does anyone have a dog? I do, and she is presenting unique challenges, and benefits!, for me. When I was first diagnosed with PAF, 11 years ago, I already had a dog. She turned into a sortof medical support dog for me. She would nudge me to lie down when my BP would drop too much and she would often herd me to bed ---among  other things. When she died 16 months ago, I greatly grieved her loss. I think I grieved her even more as she was so supportive of my health. My neurologist felt that my dog helped my illness and encouraged me to get another. I did get a new dog from the shelter, Dixie, 6 months ago. She is wonderful. She does not have my previous dog's sensibility about my health, but she is wonderfully supportive in other ways. She gives  me an important responsibility and a reason to get up everyday (on days that I am not working). She also keeps me moving and provides needed company (I live alone with no family). My concern is that I cannot always walk her as much as I would like when I am symptomatic. I do have a dog walker to help. I am also concerned about the future. Dogs are expensive. If I have to stop working (I hope that doesn't happen!), I wonder if I can afford her. Of course, I love her like crazy and would hate to give her up. I just wonder what is best for her. Do other people have dogs? How have you managed dog care and dysautonomia? 

Would love to hear from you!

Kathy

I have a dog. She's older now and has health problems of her own. So, we can only do "shorty" walks now because neither of us can go more than 15 minutes. 

She has been a light in my world! I don't know how well I would have coped with my illness without her. 

I also have 5 kitties and a horse. The horse is boarded and is also old and retired.  But, I think all of my pets have helped me have purpose at a time when I could have easily wasted away in my bed. They also give a kind of love and support that most humans can't provide. They are always in the moment and don't judge....just being present and quiet is ok with them. 

I have a dog as well, I got her before most of my POTS stuff got worse so we used to be able to go hiking and go to huge open dog parks where she could really run around and explore. Now I can't even really take her on walks, but I have found a dog park near by that is smaller so on good weeks I can take her 3-5 days there. I do sometimes feel guilty that I can't give her as much as I want to especially when I see healthy people walking and running with their dogs all over, but if I stay out of the comparison game then I can focus more on ways we can do more together, even if its just sitting outside on our front steps.

I think its also important to not feel like you have to do it all by yourself; for example there is this dog beach by me that is huge and I wouldn't be able to take my dog there alone, but I've gone with a friend, where I am more or less just a spectator, but my dog gets to enjoy that experience and I still get to see her happiness. So definitely using my community of friends or family to help is something that I think opens up my and my dog's life.

As far as expenses I think it it just important to have your own monthly budget (something I've recently started) so I know where all my money is going, and then I can save and plan for the annual shots or any random medical problems my dog, or I might have.

Thank you for your responses! Katybug, I agree ---I think I cope better with a dog. Statesof, thank you for sharing your guilt! Helps me feel less alone with that. I think our dogs just want us, and they just want us to be happy. They probably would rather that we don't feel guilty :-). 

I have a dog too.  Luckily, he is the laziest chocolate lab I've ever encountered.  He is not big on exercise, and is happy to laze around.  When the snow is gone we wander around the yard, and he goes outside with me every day for my son's bus.  He's getting pretty old, but has been like this since I got him (he was 3).  

I'm not sure what we'll do once he's gone.  I like having a dog, but really am not able to give it the exercise it needs.  My partner wants to get a small dog, which would be easier as far as exercise goes....but I'm not a fan of little dogs.  Maybe I'll need to adopt another "oldie" that moves at my speed.  

:)