Weird Inconsistencies In Symptoms/rise In Bp With Beta Blocker?

Has anyone else experienced a rise in their blood pressure after starting on a beta blocker? I just feel like my body is all over the place... I've still had tachycardic episodes, especially at night, since starting propranolol. Occasionally it's good, but it doesn't seem to work consistently; I also got a BP monitor to see how my blood pressure is responding to that and the florinef I was just placed on, and I took it this morning since my heart rate was quite high (explained by the fact that I had just taken a shower, and that's generally what happens) and I thought my BP would be low, but it was 135/90! For a person who generally funs anywhere between 95/62 - 105/70 ish that is crazy high.

I've also been having days recently where I run a low grade fever (like 99.8) ish and feel absolutely awful, generally with a headache and exacerbated GI symtoms... Basically flu-like. But those days are interspersed between relatively good days.

Just wondered if anyone else has experienced these things? I really just want an explanation for all this. I wish my symptoms were more consistent, too because then it would be an easier case to argue to physicians. I know it might not be possible, but a generalized explanation for the craziness would be great. -_-

Absolutely! I have always been a 90's over 60's gal. While I do get scary blood pressure drops, I have had episodes like you when I feel terrible and when I check it is very high for me even at times higher than yours. I do not take and medications although have tried many and this still happens to me too. Others may chime in to what might cause this. I have low blood volume and wonder if mine is related to that. Hang in there!!

Hi, Sarah,

Were your BPs raising before you started the Florinef? Just wondering because Florinef basically helps the kidneys hold onto fluids/water and sodium, which in return increases our blood volume and blood pressure. So it's really great that you bought the BP monitor to check your vitals!

Anyway, I have read a few posts about propranolol increasing BP's initially if I remember right. Are you on the short acting or the LA form of it? Also, regarding the low grade fevers, I run temps around 99 also when I get a fever. I typically have a temp of 97-ish. A lot of us w/ POTS or autonomic dysfunction have trouble with temperature regulation. There have been recent posts on this, i'll try to find them for you real quick.

I found this article for you on the side effects of propranolol, it mentions GI symptoms. http://www.mayoclinic.org/drugs-supplements/propranolol-oral-route/side-effects/DRG-20071164

I was on the propanolo 10mg am and pm and it did the same thing with me...bp and HR all over the place...was taken off to do TTT...and still had high HR but BP went back to being closer to the old low pressures....just been on metoprolol and was doing well, but since last week my HR is has been bouncing and bp at times is running like your which is high for me...and then dips down to 80/70. I can't make any sense out of any of it. I am seeing my cardiologist tomorrow hope to get some answers...also my GI issues are flaring more than normal with spasm...I have noticed when BP high pulse has been low like 65 which is low for me but then jumps back up...no idea ....if this is just a part of pots... I posted about it a few days back and got responses that others have HR that all over the place at times as well...best of luck to you.