Uti

cammee

In my experience with UTI in past 2 years (before POTs diagnosis though likely beginnings of lots of POTs symptoms...) I went back to dr. after 4 days or so if not experiencing improvement. I actually went to the 4th different antibiotic (ER injections & diagnosed kidney infection). I don't mean to scare you, but if an antibiotic is not giving relief for UTI specific symptoms, I would certainly at least call the dr./office if not go in if it was myself. Maybe the dr or office you saw gave you discharge instructions about how soon you should experience relief.

Since then, I have had UTI symptoms but never enough white or red blood cells to treat as full-blown infection which makes me think it was POTs related (severe malaise, nausea/vomitting, increased urination, and other symptoms...)

On a separate note, I am dealing with a rough cold/virus and having a hard time fighting it off and definitely increase in POTs symptoms.

Maybe others have similar or diff. experiences....

Any infection I get (UTI, sinus, etc) causes a huge flare in POTS symptoms. I agree with Stellaluna. There are many antibiotic-resistant strains of UTIs; sometimes you have to go through a couple antibiotics before you find the right one for that particular infection. If an antibiotic isn't working, your doctor might want to do a C&S (culture & sensitivity test) where they send urine to a lab, where they'll identify exactly which bacteria is causing the infection, and then test antibiotics to see which one will be most effective.

As a side note, I always take D-Mannose along with antibiotics when I get a UTI. It's amazing stuff, helps kick it out a lot faster. Lately it seems that if I catch one at the beginning, sometimes D-Mannose is all I need to get rid of it (although I always do that with doctor approval, and have the doctor test to make sure it's gone in those cases).

You can be having bladder spasms and you can also have cystitis which feels like a UTI but it is not bacteria related and that is made worse by caffeine, spicy foods, and other irritants. But even though you are on a broad spectrum antibiotic Cipro, it does not treat all strains and a culture is needed. If you feel like the infection is going away but the spasms are not you can ask for Pyridium which helps w/the pain and swelling. One of the biggest symptoms of my dysautonomia is bladder retention and as of 9 years ago I got to the point now where I could not urinate w/out the use of a catheter so I get frequent UTIs--every 4-6 weeks, then on antibiotics for 14 days, then it starts up again within 2-4 weeks. Some have been resistant and I've had to take two antibiotics at a time or take them for 4 weeks straight. So far i haven't even needed IV's when the infections spreads to my kidneys:), but its been brought up many times. I also take 3 things to minimize infections (makes the bladder more acidic and less likely to hold on to bacteria) and spread them out through the day which has helped--Vit C with breakfast, Cranberry pills at lunch and D-Mannose at dinner. Sometimes i do a second D-Mannose at bedtime.