Mayo Clinic Appt (Rochester) In Two Weeks

rje11

I have a series of appointments at Mayo Clinic in Rochester coming up and would appreciate input. I will be having the autonomic testing (breathing, Tilt table, sweat test) and see a neurologist for my generalized dystonia. It has progressed to my respiratory system. I am concerned about how I am going to be able to handle things physically... My husband will push me in my wheelchair, but right now at home I get so worn out with hardly doing anything. I take at least one nap a day (usually have to dose with Valium and Benadryl for dystonia) and then go to bed at least by 9:00. My dystonia gets so bad that I spasm with every breath and just about every muscle in my body spasms. What will they do if I am unable to do the autonomic testing due to this? Under what circumstances would they change me from outpatient to inpatient?

We are staying at Kahler Hotel, so I am not PLANNING on being an inpatient. The more fatigued I get, the worse the spasms are, though...

Input appreciated!
Thanks
Rje

I don't have answers to your questions but I think I stayed at the Holiday Inn and it was actually connected to Mayo by a series of tunnels and walkways. It was actually quite cool b/c I did not have to ever leave. They had food courts, stores and restaurants connected. I went in Nov and again in Dec and it was very cold and snowy there so i appreciated just navigating inside to get everywhere. I'm not sure where the Kahler hotel is, but just thought I'd let you know this, especially if you will be in a wheelchair. Convenience is of utmost importance. I could also just go back to my room to rest in between appts b/c sometimes they were back to back and some days I might have one at 8 a.m, then not another one until 2 p.m. THey are also used to dealing with very seriously ill people so I'm sure they can accommodate you. For what it's worth, I also went in with a near-fatal cortisol level (very low) and they did not admit me.

Which one are you being referred to? I called and talked to the folks in FL first and they seemed way overbooked, so I had my doc refer me to Rochester. It didn't take long for me to hear from them, but they said the waiting list was very long and it would be next year sometime before I got in. I got worse, though, and one of my docs called and I am pretty sure they bumped me up on the list, as my appts are in early Dec. now. So, I guess the answer is it depends on which location and lots of other stuff. Sorry I can't be of more help.

Rje