Oxygen Sats?

rje11

Are low oxygen sats a symptom for any type of dysautonomia? I have a pulse oximeter and it has been running 89-92 with me just sitting here. It is lower when I am lying down than standing, also. I am going to record overnight and see how it does...

Thanks,

rje

I get funny readings with oxygen sometimes, too. Sometimes it tanks when my symptoms are bad, sometimes not. And then sometimes it tanks and I feel fine. I know that I REALLY like when they give me oxygen. It clears up my vision and everything....let us know how your oxygen does overnight.

Edited by Alma

I was on oxygen for 2 years after the onset of Dysautonomia. Originally because my sats would not stay up after a surgery. Then with further testing they saw that although most of the time my sats we're good I would drop a couple times an hour down in the 70s (usually along with other presyncope symptoms and low BP). They decided to go ahead and continue the oxygen even though they did not know the reason for the random drops. All I knew was that I felt worse when it was dropping and the oxygen definitely made me feel better.

After 2 years of being on oxygen my GP decided enough was enough and sent me to a Pulmonologist to figure out why I was having these random drops. I had an overnight study and you could see several times where oxygen would drop as my heart rate spiked. Pulmonologist told me that with me a pulse ox is often inaccurate. due to low blood pressure I do not always have adequate profusion to my hands which makes it impossible for a pulse ox to measure correctly.

The Pulmonologist decided to proceed with arterial blood gasses to confirm his suspicions and they were in the ok range so discontinued the oxygen. He also explained that the reason I felt better with it was probably because my heart rate went so fast when my "oxygen dropped" that my blood cells could not exchange gasses properly and so a higher percentage of oxygen per breath equaled a higher absorbtion in the cells.

On a side note it was also very helpful in migraine managment for me. There are some studies about using oxygen for migraine treatment maybe some day it will be the norm.

I hope you can figure out what the problem is for you and get the help that you need in treating whatever is causing it. God bless.

I used the new oximeter last night and I am thinking (hoping) that it reads a bit lower than my other one. According to the summary report I only had a total of 24 Spo2 "events", but I was under 88% for 26.4 minutes total. The "basal" was 89.7. My pulse is always pretty low, possibly due to medications I take. The average pulse rate was 58.2. My GP told me to take some of the reports to Mayo with me, so I guess they can figure it out there. The low O2 sure could explain my fatigue and dystonia flares when I get up to use the bathroom at night, though....

THanks for the input!

rje

My O2 sats are typically around 97-99%. I've had them drop to around 92-95 when my heart rate dips into the 50's, which makes sense as slower heart rates for certain people may mean slower or less efficient circulation of oxygen.

I have always been told low oxygen sats are not a symptom of dysautonomia, but may be a symptom of concurrent or underlying heart, lung, or vascular issues. However, doctors know so little about what is "typical" of dysautonomia that I'm sure it's hard - even for the doctors - to definitively say what is or isn't part of a particular individual's dysautonomia. The cardiologists and pulmonologists I've seen consider anything below 90% worthy of supplemental oxygen, and worthy of a complete heart, lung, and vascular workup (including sleep studies). However, you also have to consider that pulse oximeters don't always give true readings, especially in those of us with perfusion issues in the limbs, chronically cold hands, etc. so it's possible your oxygen could be fine, and your oximeter just can't get a good reading. As someone else mentioned, ABG (arterial blood gas) is really the best measure, when taken in a doctor's office. Hopefully when you take this data to Mayo you'll get some good information.

Maybe this thread will help? http://forums.dinet.org/index.php?/topic/23747-blood-oxygen-levels-and-breathing-poll/

• 2 weeks later...

There is no known association that I have ever read and I read up on autonomic breathing problems a lot. A pulseOX was actually how I figured out I had POTS. My POTS started with bad breathing problems and my HR being really high in hospital. So when I left the hospital I bought a pulse ox and recorded my O2, HR and breathing strangth with a meter. Every hour I would record all 3. When I woke up I noticed my HR was lower when laying in bed. googled and bing. My pulse Ox is accurate compared to the hospital ones they even wrap around your finger. But if my hands are cold my O2 stats will be low. Otherwise they are always 99-98 range.Dysautonomia people have a problem with CO2 that can actually raise O2.

Artery Blood Gas is the most accurate. But the most accurate way to take Blood Gas for a dysautonomia patient is during a cardioPulmonary exercise test. Pretty much like a cardiac stress test. You walk on a treadmill hooked up to ekg wires but they do the blood gas before you walk, then they make u wear a special mask that records your end tidal O2 and CO2, then after then immediatley after you cant walk anymore they take the glood gas again. That sees what happens at rest vs. upright and active. A lot can be seen from doing it like that not just oxygen.

Meanwhile anecdotally, over the years I have spoken to maybe 10 people that have dysautonomia and low O2, but it was usually do to other underlying conditions. One had Pulmonary Hypertension, another had COPD, another lung scarring just to name a few. I also know a bunch with sleep apnea both obstructive and central. Usually they say a CPAP helps their daytime breathing and O2 levels. Again this is anecodatal info. The many lectures and studies I have read and listened to say there isnt any more prevelance then general population as far as Apnea, POTS people have a special type of restless sleep (but that doesnt affect O2).