Viral Onset - Is It Usually Cold Or Flu?

navyblue

I was wondering in the viral onset category of POTS- does that usually mean like a cold/respiratory or something more flu-ish?

I ask because I've got a nasty cold that is making my POTS symptoms worse (although I was not initially a viral onset, I don't think), and I'm getting paranoid that it's going to make me more tired and dizzy long after it clears up.

Hi navyblue, sorry you’re fighting a nasty cold on top of everything else. I can understand the concern (every time I’ve gotten a cold on top of POTS, feels like death warmed over AND feels like it’s going to last forever). Not fun or easy, particularly when you’re still trying to sort out what the heck is going on.
For what it’s worth, although it sometimes takes me longer than it used to to get over colds, it’s mostly that it takes slightly longer to get full energy back, maybe an extra couple days to occasionally a week. And usually even during that time, it’s a gradual process of feeling a little better each day. I haven’t personally had the experience of a cold triggering a full blown POTS attack, or anything really nasty like that.
I hope you’re able to get some rest and go easy on yourself till you feel better, and I hope you do start to feel better soon!

Hi navy blue,

I am in the process of trying to get past the effects of a head cold which for a few days was a DOOZY of a cold. Haven't had a cold in many many years. Now I guess I'm more susceptible.

For me a bad infection requiring IV abx for 6 wks @ 2-1/2 yrs ago triggered POTS.

Since POTS onset I've had two uti's (haven't had a uti in YEARS) and each of those made POTS symptoms worse including for a few weeks after the uti was cleared. But then finally got back to POTS baseline.

This head cold wc slammed me did worsen POTS symptoms including making me even more heat sensitive wc also added to the mix.

So now cold is lessened but still using herbs to help clear out lingering remnants so I think...I hope this "bug" is winding down.

Too difficult to sort out what's what presently so just hoping I feel back to pre-head cold self soon while also continually working on reaching pre-POTS self baseline one of these days.

Hope this helps and that you feel better SOON!

Take care,

H&S