Exercises To Strengthen Legs

looneymom

Here is an article on leg exercises that might be helpful to someone thats been bedbound or just wanting to maintain leg muscles. Tyler is able to do all of these except marches in a chair. He is still riding his stationary bike and sitting on the bench. He could not any of this a year ago. The LDN has been a good medication for him. Tyler has not seen any major changes in pain yet but seeing improvements in other areas, However, LDN takes awhile to fully regulate the immune system and we feel like it's worth the wait to see what will happen in the next 6 months.

Tyler is getting his Port out next week. His doctor does think that the Basal Gangla Antibodies are gone since his tremors have started to ease up, he's able to exercise, and his blood pressures are staying up much better. Tyler symptoms did not increase when he had the flu last March. This was another clue that let his doctor know that the Plasma exchange was doing it's job. He seems to think that improvement is going to come gradually and not to stress the body out during this recovery period. Our goal is to keep Tyler well this next year to give his immune system to rebuild itself back up. If he gets sick, I must have the doctor order a test for strep throat with a culture and if a cough is involved, Mycoplasma Pneumomia has to be checked. Research indicates that once these antibodies are out and the patient is able stay well long enough to rebuild up the immune system, that the body should be able to fight off infections and not allow the antibodies to build up in the body again.

Just though you guys might enjoy an update. Progress is slow and steady but this mama bear is hoping the worst is behind us. Here is the article on leg exercises. Remember to start slow with exercises. Tyler started with a set of 5. He is up to doing 2 sets of 10 with these exercises. He uses a basketball to squeeze between the knee exercise. He started out with a nerf ball but decided he needed something with more resistance. Happy exercising.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/537011-leg-strengthing-exercises-after-being-bedridden/

Wow, I'm so glad for all of you! You have done and are doing an amazing job mama bear, big hats off to you! I have always loved exercizing, even doing a small program while in bed or chair. I believe it's most important to my dys body to somehow keep it going. Also I like to feel proud of what I'm able to do re exercizing, it keeps the happy hormones flowing which I think benefits me!

Rachel,

What a difference a year makes, right? Especially if you start adding all of them up! I can't believe the progress he's made over the last few year's that we've all come to know you guys. It makes my heart so happy for you and your family :)

I bet Tyler is happy to get the Port out! Thank you for sharing his exercise protocol also. Take care, Sarah