Advice For Healthy Nutritional Substitutes/ Quick Meals

Sylvie33

Hi everyone,

Relatively simple query where I would like to lean on those with experience. I would like advice/suggestions about simple foods, recipes, and products for a healthy diet for those with gastric motility issues.

I'm off to gastroparesis testing on the 24th (waited two months!). My gastro symptoms began with severe GERD and evolved into little appetite and feeling prematurely full. No vomiting; a bit of nausea. I've lost quite a bit of weight. I also have developed severe constipation; I think this is also a result of being housebound since April. (I have just begun floor-based yoga yesterday and managed 25 minutes today -- a real step for me!)

I'm sort of horrified by ingredients in commercial brands of supplements, although I drink one each morning. I read about "Orgain" and wonder about other nutritional supplements I see on the web. I am basically living on almond milk, greek yogurt, frozen pureed squash, packaged tuna (to my dismay), broiled or barbecued plain chicken and crackers with peanut butter. I just got a new "Magic Bullet" blender (and am too fatigued to open the **** box -- so I'm not quite up to complex preparation or cooking. And I was such a cook!), but I welcome smoothie/soup suggestions!

I'm also interesting in supplements, although I am cautious about them as I am about meds.

Yet just read an article "Coenzyme Q10 helps Verterans Battle Gulf War Illness Symptoms" (UC San Diego Health; Nov. 3, 2014) -- builds mitochrondrial strength. This was a carefully controlled study. I have no idea whether mitochrondrial issues are implicated in my sudden-onset general dysautonomia, but got the supplement immediately (what the heck).

I also just ordered Magnesium Citrate -- heard it's good for sleep (big issue with me) and constipation.

Thank you in advance for your advice!

--Sylvie

Hi Sylvie! That's great news about the yoga.. I'm happy for you that you were able to do 25 minutes yesterday, that's really a long time!

I have motility issues also. I'll try to share some things that have helped me.. I like greek yogurt too, but its a bit heavy for me now a days so I buy a probiotic. You mentioned liking chicken also, is it possible to make extra the night before and have it for leftovers in a salad for lunch the next day? The biggest things that have helped me has been staying away from big meals, heavy foods, and anything w/ grease/high fat content. I'm excited for you that you've now got a Magic Bullet--those are great! Some of my favorite smoothies throughout the day are chocolate peanut butter banana (2 c chocolate chips, 2 frozen bananas, 1/4 cups natural peanut butter, blend on high in order), Strawberry Cheesecake Smoothie (1 1/4 c frozen strawberries, 1 tablespoon cheesecake fat free, sugar free instant pudding mix, 1 cup vanilla almond milk, 1 tsp splenda and blend together), Mango's/Peaches blended w/ Plain Yogurt. Those are my favorite's! :)

Hi Silvie,

I use biocitrate magnesium. Sometimes I have to fiddle with dose to be regular. Generally I take @ 500 mgs at bedtime. I don't use Greek yogurt because of something I read about it but don't remember. That said I use Stonyfield fat free or low fat Plain yogurt and add THAWED frozen organic blueberries or org. Strawberries. Too tired to dirty up blender so mix in a serving bowl. This yogurt has live cultures and I've noticed a great difference for the good in being regular sine adding yogurt. I use stevia to sweeten.

Can you eat quinoa? You can make enough at one time for 4 days. I don't bother to rinse before cooking it ....I just do what is easy. It's ready in 15 min. and that helps too as a soluble fiber. I add a bit of olive oil wc aids me as well.

Want to add a good for you as well for the yoga!

Heartandsoul

Thanks Sarah and H&S.

Well, there was a lot of child's poses in the yoga!

I can eat quinoa, but have avoided fiber lately -- so this is good to know. I also appreciate the dosing information @magnesium. I also make smoothies with frozen bananas and sometimes just eat them alone as a sort of dessert. Husband has also been barbecuing and roasting quantities of chicken for me. Still seeking info. on organic sugar-sweetener free liquid meal substitutes and also high-protein/ high nutritional supplements to add to smoothies.

Thanks --

S

I've been sick for awhile and always have been playing with my diet to see if it helps. I swear by Garden of Life Super Green powder. I mix a serving with 1 or 2 bananas, raspberries (usually cascadian farm frozen) and flaxseed. It has enzymes, probitics and all sorts of nutrients. The best tasting protein supplement I found is nutri biotic in Chocolate. I mix in a blender with rice milk and ice. It helps my chocolate cravings too. Other than that, I buy ms. Amy's TV dinners and use the stove to heat up. Pita pockets, with hummus, cucumber, spinach and tomato. High fiber bread, like Ezekiel sprouted grain. I have stomach issues too. Oh and Chia seeds are great in smoothies too for extra fiber. They create this slimy coating around them when they get wet and seems to create a good lubricating effect. Having veggies cut up and ready on a good day helps tons. I was having rotating constipation and diarrhea (not to mention nausea and vomiting, but that has seemed to settle for now). Sticking to this, I have loose stools, but at least they're everyday. I haven't concurred the lpr type gerd, but I'm done with PPI until I see the GI.

Check out the cookbook Deliciously Ella. A fellow POTSIE in the UK. Lots of quick/easy ideas. My sister-in-law recommended it (she lives over there and yes, my husband has the LOVELY English accent which I no longer hear ). I make batches of quinoa/brown rice/buckwheat and freeze them in 2-3 day supplies. My hubby also makes batches of scrambled eggs with veges which I use in 2-3 days with the carbs. The book has recipes for chia seed breakfast pudding that I make a day or two supply of. I had to order the Kindle edition several months ago, not sure if you can get hardcopy here.

P

Another meal replacement I like is Garden of Life Raw shake. Organic, dairy, soy free and vegan. I'm not sure about the sugar/carb content (my Dr said to limit these) but it's easy to make and designed for people who are on raw diets. Lots of rice protein, minerals, vitamins etc. I also use the Garden of Life super green powder.

• 4 weeks later...

I had gastric bypass in early 2000 so I have always used protein shakes on and off. I use a whey protein mix with 24-32 grams of protein per serving and of course chocolate flavored. But I also like greek yogurt-protein, carbs and calcium!

Now that I have had the florinef adjusted I am no longer constipated-such a blessing after years of trying to be/get regular

Debbie