Tilt Table Test On Thursday... Nervous About Nitroglycerin

kellygirl

Hello Everyone,

I am so relieved to have found this forum and terribly scared about the administration of nitroglycerin during the tilt test I have coming up on thursday.

Can anyone share with me what symptoms to expect when they administer the Nitro?

I was diagnosed with POTS in July through orthostatic vitals. My resting heart rate is in the 80s and on standing immediately shoots up to over 130. I have never experience fainting.

My main concern about the nitro is that since before the diagnosis I developed an oversensitivity to meds I had been on for years.. enough that I can no longer take them as they accelerate my heart rate, and lay me out flat for days. I cannot even take a tylenol without it messing me up. I am afraid of taking it, and am considering telling them that I will not take it.

I do not know why some still give nitro. I did have nitro on my first TTT.

I have to take nitro for days consecutively. It is one of the few meds that I have been able to take. My nose, throat, and airways are the most reactive. It seams that nitro being sublingual helps me.

That said, I was sensitive to it. Most with POTS would be. It could be that you have an exaggerated response. BUT, you are in good hands at the time. You would be fine.

You can expect a headache, a heaviness in the chest, shortness of breathe, an accelerated heart rate, and a sudden drop in blood pressure. It works fast, but it is over fast.

I had nitro on my first TT as well. Passed out almost instantly and felt awful for a few days after. My next 2 tilt tables did not use nitro. One doctor told me that some people have a profound reaction to it so they don't use it. Different philosophies I suppose. The Mayo did not use it on me anyway.

Thank you for your replies. I have decided to not take the nitro for the test. When I was in the hospital and they wanted to do the test I refused once I heard they would be administering nitro. The truth is, I have had a bad gut feeling about taking it. It is also my body that will feel bad and my vitals that will be off for some time due to the administration of the nitro and I don't want to put my body through anymore trauma. I have educated myself on the drug. I have read that it should not be administered to patients who are dehydrated or hypovolemic and I am both. They already made the diagnoses of POTS with orthostatic vitals and other symptomology, so they can use that information.... hopefully.

It is not helpful for a diagnoses in my opinion. People that are not sick are going to have a variety of responses that could only confuse the interpretation of the numbers.

On the other hand, I tolerate it because I have to. It is in and out of your system quickly. I take it almost every day. I had to take it cautiously, and still do, but to a lesser degree. I have established a slight tolerance for it.