Definition Of Pots = Sustained Increase Of Heart Rate?

Hi there,

reading about the diagnosis of Postural Orthostatic Tachycardia Syndrome I got a little bit confused about the exact definition.

Key is the increased heart rate of more 30 bpm within 10 min or alternatively more than 120 bpm in total.

I am wondering "for how long" does the heart rate has to stay at the elevated level? Does every healthy person has an increased heart rate after standing up? Has the increase in heart rate to be somehow "sustained" to suggests PoTS? If so, what is sustained?

I don't think I've ever read that there is a minimum amount of time for the tachycardia to last. While most people do have some temporary change in hr during an orthostatic change, I think it is usually less than 30 bmp and or under 120 which is why that is the determining factor in diagnosing POTS.

It may depend on the doctor's opinion, from what I have seen here with TTT results and doctor interpretations. I would think a good doctor would consider any orthostatic hr and bp fluctuations in light of additional symptoms. eg, if the patient also feels fatigued, etc that is a sign of orthostatic intolerance/POTS.

In my experience, when I am experiencing POTS symptoms, my hr on standing is pretty sustained. But it also depends on the time of day. I have more orthostatic intolerance in the AM than in the PM. So I might not meet the clinical definition of POTS at 5 pm yet I do at 8 AM.

From what my Neuro said regarding differential diagnosis is when there is a drop and also a drop in BP it could mean that you are having a Vasovagal response rather than POTs. There are differential diagnoses as such, but I know that they were checking me for that because my HR had dropped at one point, but then most of the time now it is sustained for a period of time hence the POTs diagnosis.