When to go to the doctor for other issues?

Guest Julia59

Guest Julia59

WEll folks it's been a little while since I last talked to you about my "bad doctor" experience---------------LOL :)

WEll, here I am with some kind of virus----don't really know what it is.

My nephew has strep, but we really weren't exposed to him. We had a family get together, but this was about 3 or 4 days before he was diagnosed with strep throat.

My son's girlfriend's daughter also has some kind of virus, not sure what it is, it seems like a cold, but then again she is cutting teeth, so she may not have a virus.

My husband and I developed sore throats yesterday, but they were real scratchy---and my wind pipe almost felt like it was closing, but was better with that this morning.

I got up earlier then usual this morning to take a friend of mine from NY to see Dr. Grubb. I didn't have to wait in the office as he sister picked her up, but i usually wait with her anyway, but this time I was feeling too miserable. Of course she understood as a good POTS patient will----LOL.

I have been flu like beyond my usual POTS junk for a while now and I can't help but think I have some kind of other infection going on also. These last few days have been rough. I thought I felt a tiny bit better this morning, but I was still lacking some sleep as I didn't sleep well.

Then when I was getting ready, my body did that usual thiing that tells me to go lay down. My heart felt like it skipped some beats--or dropped in my belly or something---then I felt a huge adreanaline rush. I was standing in front of the mirror in the bathroom when this happened. I tried to get my bearings back, but no luck so far.

I have been so weak---all I did was rest and sleep on and off all day. I have some ----(sorry grosse)-----rather thick drainage, and I have pressure behind bothe ears-------not the middle ear---not sharp pain, more like a pressure pain.

Now I did have this mastoiditis issue come up on my MRI results, but my PCP thought it didn't mean anything. I'm afraid to bring the subject up again becauuse I fear he will think since the MRI mentioned something consistant with mastoiditis was found that "NOW I THINK I HAVE IT BECAUSE IT WAS "MENTIONED".

NOT THE CASE. I just know it's an infection on the mastoid bones that is chronic and needs treatment over a period of time. Well I have been sicker then usual over a period of time. I also know I have a constant rubbing. grinding of my bones in that area ALL THE TIME---and wondered if it should be investigated further? I feel pretty miserable, and my body feels like a giant tooth ache from the middle of my back up to my head. My husband is on vacation this week too, and I feel I can't enjoy this time with him.

I don't know what to do---if I should call my PCP or not. I feel it would be a waste of my time, as i'm not sure he will take this seriously. I have had trouble all my life being taken seriously. I don't know if I have a cartoon like face---or what it is. Family, Friends, doctors----(not all my doctors) don't think any of this is an issue at all. It's had to type this e-mail-----so I should go.

Also, I am so afraid of antibiotics---I have such reactions to them----I don't want another POTS crash---especially since i'm already half there.

Just a little mixed up today.

Julie :0)

Guest GayleP

Julie,

I'm sorry that you're feeling so lousy. The trouble with viruses is that they can last a while. I had one in March that lasted for about a month. Only one day of a fever and being really sick and the rest of the time just feeling like crap.

You might want to request a CBC which might be able to determine by your white count if you have a virus or bacterial infection. I had that done, my white count was elevated and I was told just to rest and take it easy until I felt better.

Hope you start to feel better soon.

BTW, I went to a brand new PCP at my HMO today to look at a cut on my arm that I thought might be infected. I went to him because my PCP was not in today. He asked me if I had any health issues besides the cut. I said I had "autonomic problems". He looked at me with a blank expression. I could tell he had no clue what I was talking about. Because this was a one time appointment I decided not to go into it. It's been a while since I've seen a new doctor. I forgot how ignorant they can be about the autonomic system. Very scary.

I'm sorry you feel so yucky!!!

A lot of people are having trouble with allergy/sinus infection so it may not be a virus. The scratchy throat could be from sinus drainage.

I've gargled with salt water lots before and sometimes that will bring throat relief and help kill bacteria in the throat as well. Some people also use saline solution through the nose which can help with stuffiness and drainage.

Could you try frequent gargling with the salt tonight and see how you feel in the morning. If it gets worse then go in but otherwise just rest and drink lots of water to try to flush things out. At least that way if you have to go to the Dr. you can go telling them all the things you've already done.

Yeah...I'm in that mode of "I hate most Dr's too" (not all though) :angry:

Sending healing thoughts and energy your way!! :rolleyes:

B)