Central Nervous System Symptoms

Raisin

Hello again everyone. I am getting confused as I seem to have some central nervous system symptoms and I have already been diagnosed with Pots and autonomic neuropathy. I apologize but I'm getting confused. I'd rather not mention the central symptoms in detail (tmi) but is this what everyone goes through also? The autonomic nervous system is not part of the central nervous system, right? I tried to look this up on past forums but can't find anything specific to this. Thanks to anyone that can shed some light! I actually learned this in college but with my current brain fog, I guess I'm just not getting a clear picture! ?

Hi Raisin,

I was brain foggy last night and couldn't quite collect my thoughts. The ANS is talked about like it is some separate set of nerves or some closed system apart from the CNS or PNS. That's not the case. In fact, the ANS are just the specific parts of the brain (CNS), spinal nerves (CNS), and peripheral nerves (PNS) that control those bodily functions that need to be autonomous....meaning they need to happen without our conscious thought, i.e. bp, heart rate, digestion. The brain and spinal cord are like the master switch for the peripheral nerves that innervate and control organs, vessels, etc.. Unfortunately, that means things can go wrong anywhere along the line. Does that make more sense?

Yes, I think so Katybug. I am rather embarrassed as I used to get all A's in school and I knew this stuff and I read it now and it won't sink in anymore. I would say my iq is dropping through all this.

I get symptoms of hypo perfusion (leg ataxia for example) when I have been upright for awhile (sitting or standing) but there is not noted blockage in the carotids. I have slurred my words at times. I would actually say I fit the MSA category more except for the fact that if the ataxia, swallowing difficulties, bladder and bowel stuff is come and go, then it wouldn't fit, right? I now use a cane full time.

I do see a new neurologist next week. She is supposed to be real nice.

It certainly is a journey, isn't it? Lol.